The School Newspaper of Lawrence Free State High School

Free Press

Review: Beauty and the Beast

Walt Disney Pictures

Walt Disney Pictures

Caitlin McAndrew-Beckmen, Designer

“Beauty and the Beast” takes the movie theaters by storm with excellent actors and actresses, beautiful sets, makeup and costumes. The original animated film came out in 1991 and was a big hit amongst family households and still is today. With a cast of well known actors and actresses, “Beauty and the Beast” took something loved by children and turned it into a fresh new movie to fall in love with all over again.

Beauty and the Beast is a story of a Belle, a beautiful small town girl played by Emma Watson. Belle lives in a small town where everyone knows everyone because of her father, Maurice, played by Kevin Kline. The Beast, played by Dan Stevens, must break a curse and free himself, and his house of workers and helping hands. “Far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise,” makes this a classic love story for everyone to enjoy.

With an Oscar winning director and multiple well known and award winning cast members, Beauty and the Beast was casted ideally. Luke Evans was a perfectly evil Gaston, and Josh Gad did a great job playing LeFou Gaston’s sidekick. Luke Evans performance of the song Gaston was magical and perfectly evil.

With a makeup department of 49 people, the crew was able to enhance the movie with dramatic and show stopping makeup. Especially in the first scene and at the ball for the prince everyone has dramatic, bold makeup. Stevens was faced with the task of playing a challenging character who starts cold hearted and morphs his heart into a loving and caring one. Stevens made it easy for even the viewers to fall in love.

Alan Menken created a score that made me feel all the different feelings and emotions of the love story of Beauty and the Beast.”

Jacqueline Durran took the somewhat simple and plain costumes from the animated movie and turned them into beautiful intricate costumes. Belle’s simple blue dress was full of pattern and texture. Alan Menken created a score that made me feel all the different feelings and emotions of the love story of Beauty and the Beast. Beauty and the Beast was a movie that truly did justice to the animated film.

With many pros in “Beauty and the Beast”, a few cons comes along. Small things were changed in the live action film that weren’t in the original animated film. In the opening song, when Belle goes into the bookstore the bookstore is stacked full of books, where as in the movie there is nothing more than a small table with a few books. A lyric that was sang in the original “Beauty and the Beast”, that’s important to foreshadowing the events to come “Far off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise,” was not said in the new film. With creative camera angles, many of them would move too fast creating a dizzying effect on the viewer. There were more pros than cons, and the cons minimal at most.

Beauty and the Beast was truly a heartwarming movie full of brilliant moments. For anyone who wants to see a childhood movie take a more grownup and intriguing twist, “Beauty and the Beast” is worth it.