Best of Lawrence–Food Edition

BEST:

BREAKFAST: Biscuits and Gravy–wheatfields $3.75
Biscuits and gravy is generally not an appetizing thought. But Wheatfields redefines biscuits and gravy into a spicy gourmet breakfast that isn’t too heavy. It consists of a golden brown, flaky and buttery biscuit drowned in creamy gravy, flavored with an abundance of spicy sausage. The light biscuit is the perfect compliment to the rich, earthy flavor of the gravy.

SUGARY BREAD: Cinnamon chip bread–Great Harvest $6.66
It’s sweet cinnamon sugar chips tucked into folds of fluffy white bread. Microwaved with a little butter, it tastes better than any dessert or breakfast pastry should. It’s satisfying to bite into, but the lightness of the bread leaves the feeling of having eaten nothing at all. This bread comes in whole loaves and tiny dinner rolls.

NON-BURGER MEAT: Mongolian Beef–Encore Cafe $8.95
Hiding behind the plates of thick, greasy General Tso’s chicken, Mongolian beef delivers the same flavorful sweetness sans the oily coating of fried food. Thin slices of tender beef are marinated in sweet, spicy garlic sauce and cooked with green onions. It’s served over a bed of styrofoam-esque noodles that add a contrasting crunch and act as a vehicle for more sauce.

BEST NOODLE DISH: Pad Thai–Zen Zero $7.29
Nothing is quite as satisfying as taking a huge bite of sweet, spicy noodles. The rice noodles, stir-fried and flavored with chili pepper, cilantro and peanuts, are mild enough not to overwhelm the palate but flavorful enough to be delicious. Zen Zero’s portions are generous–one noodle dish is perfect for splitting.

BEST COFFEE PRODUCT THAT IS NOT COFFEE: Maddy’s Mud ice cream–Sylas and Maddy’s $3-4
Serving up the best ice cream in Lawrence, locally owned Sylas and Maddy’s churns out new interesting flavors each month. But a staple in the rotation is a favorite: Maddy’s Mud. It’s creamy coffee ice cream, bursting with oreos and brownie bits. Maddy’s Mud is popular for coffee lovers and coffee haters alike–the nine-year-old I babysit adores it. Ask for the “junior scoop” if you’re not prepared to polish off the two scoops that constitute a “single.”

BEST FOOD YOU PROBABLY HAVE NEVER TRIED: Chicken Tikka Masala–India Palace $12.95
“Chicken Tikka” alone is tender cubes of chicken breast marinated in spices and yogurt. “Masala” is a flavorful array of Indian spices. Chicken tikka masala at India Palace is creamy, but the spices cut through the richness. Pieces of chicken swimming in the orange-colored sauce are served over a bed of jasmine rice. India Palace’s food resembles the cuisine of Northern India–rich, creamy and less spicy. I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like chicken tikka masala.

BEST SUSHI FOR BEGINNERS: Jayhawk Roll–Yokohama $12
Have no fear, the Jayhawk roll doesn’t involve plain raw fish. What it does involve is fried tempura shrimp rolled with cream cheese and avocado, then topped with a fiery combination of spicy tuna, crunchy tempura flakes and spicy mayonnaise dressing. The avocado and cream cheese provide a balance to the spiciness of the tuna and dressing.