Social Media

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past several years you probably know what facebook , twitter or myspace is. Teenagers use these social networking sites as a lifeline, even for their main tool of communication with friends. But it hasn’t occurred to many students to use these sites in the classroom. However, social studies teacher Bobby Nichols (@clautnitch) is using twitter in the advanced placement government a politics classes.

“I personally post interesting stories and current events and make announcements [for the class] via Twitter,” Nichols said.

Nichols is attempting to use this technology in classes for several reasons and has high hopes for year to come with these programs. He used web cam technology to teleconference with British high school students. He also uses twitter to post articles and give updates about his class.

“I think that students use it socially right now and there’s an opportunity to use it in a school setting,” Nichols said.

Other teachers have also attempted to use different forms of social networking in their classes as well. Earlier in the year French teacher Steadman Rogers used the facebook address “Free State French” to friend French students and post homework, review activities and get information out about travel opportunities. The marketing classes has also tried to get access to use facebook to teach students about it as a social media tool for businesses.
“I requested access to Facebook for my marketing classes at the beginning of the year, but was unable to get permission,” marketing teacher Phil Roth said.

There are also hopes in the future for a social media/networking class. The possibilities of the class would include teaching students how to use online social outlets in an appropriate manor.

“I don’t think a lot of kids have ever been taught how to use facebook,” Nichols said. “Is there an appropriate way to use social media? I think a lot of kids have learned the hard way,”