Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

The young ones #2- A sophomore’s survival guide to being on the bottom

The first two weeks of high school passed by and Free State still looks like a maze to you. Every time you walk in the halls, you still see someone who you believe is brand new to the school. And even though there are hundreds of people eating lunch in the same block as you, finding a seat in which to nosh on your turkey sandwich is still a challenge every day.

If, as a freshman or sophomore, these three dilemmas cross your mind practically each day while you’re walking up the overcrowded stairwells, take note.

The biggest variety-filled place to share common favorites is in after-school clubs and extra-curricular activities. And just because the sophomores and freshmen haven’t been at the school for long does not mean that these classes can’t join the clubs.

In fact, FYI senior chair leader Paige Kallenberger is encouraging all new students to join FYI, a program that encourages middle school students to stay out of drugs and alcohol in high school. At the beginning of the school year, this club sent out letters to all newcomers to the school.

“We thought this would be a good way to reach out to underclassmen because we haven’t had a club fair yet,” Kallenberger said.

The club fair was usually held during a seminar hour of last year’s schedule, but with the schedule changed, there has only been one club sign-up night, and it was last spring.

But not to worry, students. Club sign-ups are open all year long.

“A lot of people showed up to our first meeting (held on August 30) and they said they did because of the letter,” Kallenberger said.

She also believes that age does not matter when it comes to a club.

“Most clubs want as many people to come to meetings and get involved in their projects [as possible]. I don’t know of one club at Free State that would reject people.”

Scott Smith, the sponsor of Film Club, LINK and HYPE Incorporated, agrees with Kallenberger and will even vouch for any freshman or sophomore who gets rejected from a club.

“I think I can speak for almost all clubs that they are there for everybody. If you are not included, let me know so we can talk to the sponsor and can get you involved.”

After all, Smith was part of the LINK group that welcomed the two younger grades to the school. For more about LINK, go to https://www.fsfreepressonline.com/features/2011/08/26/linked-in-for-the-new-year/.

FYI is one of the many clubs that will be welcoming new students throughout the year, along with Film Club and HYPE Incorporated. Most clubs meet once a week after school or at night, but schedules vary. The activities range from talking to junior high students about bullies, to watching old television shows and even to just promoting school spirit.

Check out the school’s website (http://fshs.usd497.org/) or the daily announcements for more information about times, locations and objectives.

If not one of the 44 clubs the school has to offer is interesting to you and your friends, no need to panic. Creating a club is simple enough for even a freshman or sophomore to handle. First, find a sponsor (aka any willing teacher within the building) and five starter club members. Then schedule a beginning meeting and invite everyone to join.

Make sure though that the club is school appropriate and has been accepted by student council before diving into a project. And of course, always encourage people to join and get pumped up for meetings.

Many teachers are very enthusiastic about sponsoring clubs as well. On the first day of school, teachers encouraged students to get involved throughout the school. Smith is one of the many teachers at the school who is dedicated to his clubs, Film and HYPE Incorporated.

“There used to be a rule at this school where every teacher and student had to be involved in at least one club,” he said, “and there’s just so many at the school that it’s hard not to find one that interests you. Plus, there’s no homework.”

The most beneficial part of a club is to meet new people and take off stress from school. As stated in the student handbook, “Free State High School is only as strong as your participation. You can and should make a difference.”

With so many varieties of people throughout the school encouraging younger students to get involved, all that needs to happen is freshman and sophomore engagement. Instead of staying home and watching Jersey Shore every night, try some activities that sound intriguing.

Smith knows the perfect way to find the best club.

“Bring your home activities to school. If you liking watching movies, go to Film club. If you like video games, go to Gamers club. It’s not like a class where it’s too full or you have to take it for graduation credits.”

And always remember that students are not restricted to one club. If more freshmen and sophomore’s opened up to different people, eventually high school will appear easier overall.