Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Week Without Technology: Sam–Day 1

photo credit to Rosaura Ochoa
photo credit to Rosaura Ochoa

Let’s ignore the irony that I am blogging my week without technology on a computer: we’ll pretend I’m begrudgingly typing on a typewriter or scribbling with that old-fashioned tool (a pencil?).

To be clear, I’m not going a week without all technology (I’m not that brave). I’m going a week without social media and most of my iPhone apps: Twitter, Facebook, Buzzfeed, Imgur, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.

My week started off with a reluctant farewell to my Twitter followers explaining my circumstances. Unfortunately, they’ll have to go an entire week without being inundated with cute corgi pictures and funny quips that fly through my mind.

However, since then, I haven’t really missed my previously addictive social media time wasters. Maybe this whole “week without social media” thing will be easier than I thought. Or maybe I’m just still confident in myself. We’ll see in a couple of days when I’m slipping into Facebook withdraw, rocking back and forth in a fetal position in the corner of my room.

I’m struggling with the fact, however, of not being able to tweet my witty thoughts. Perhaps I’ve been conditioned by my generation to tweet whatever is in my head, but how are people supposed to hear my jokes about Wu-Tang Clan and Parks and Recreation? I mean, I do tell jokes to friends face-to-face, but there is something wonderful about that gratification and reward received after you see one of your tweets favorited.

But that’s what I’m hoping to get away from: relying on social media for that instant gratification. This sensation can easily be achieved through face-to-face conversation and interactions: these are the interactions I hope to have more of on my vacation from social media.

They say the first day of quitting something is always the hardest: let’s hope they’re right.