Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

The Humble Artisan: Anna Cormack

Anna+Cormack+poses+with+one+of+her+many+art+pieces+Trees+and+Cathedral.+
Anna Cormack poses with one of her many art pieces “Trees and Cathedral.”

Anna Cormack has always been surrounded by art. Her mother and sister are both art historians. Some of Cormack’s fondest memories are of sitting and coloring with her grandfather for hours.

Even now, her senior day is half consumed with creative thought, with ceramics, art and photography classes. Yet this craftswoman and starring model for Art Club is shocked she’s even noticed.

“I didn’t really realize that everyone else saw me as the girl who’s always in art class, ‘cause I guess I am,” she said. “I don’t really talk about it to other people who aren’t in art. It’s cool to know people are paying attention.”

And people are paying attention.

This soft spoken leader tries to give instruction the same as her role model and art teacher, Ms. Downs, would.

“I try and think what Ms. Downs would say,” she said. “She makes people look at the more abstract side of art.”

Ms. Downs only adds to her student’s success. When asked how she felt for Anna’s nomination from Free Press, her immediate reaction was, “Heck yeah! Finally the right person is being recognized. She has the ability to inspire. She can get together with any group of people and be a leader in that group of people. She takes it upon herself to show and to lead and to inspire.”

Between Art Club, a duet in Encore and everyday in class, Anna’s outlook still remains positive.

“She has inspired me with her strength,” says classmate and close friend Maddie Branstrom.

Ms. Downs definitely agrees.

“She doesn’t let things affect her in a negative way. She lets it affect her it in a positive, fueling type of way.”

Senior Emma Norwood chimes in with only more praise. “She works on [her artwork] through the days and then goes to work, you know how busy she is,” Norwood said. “And it’s so cool to see someone persisting through all the trouble she’s been through and see all this beautiful outcomes of artwork.”

Troubles or not, this humble artisan is a shining light to her friends and a new delight to those she works with. Anna Cormack’s art only remains a portion of the dedication of student, artist and friend to all she encounters.