“I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” Book Review

If you’ve ever heard of Tucker Max I’m sure you either a) find him completely disgusting or b) find him ridiculously hilarious. If you haven’t heard of Tucker Max, author of I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, you are seriously missing out.

Tucker Max was your typical college kid, drinking and doing crazy things with his friends, until one night while out drinking he made the decision to record the evening. He realized the things that came out of his mouth while under the influence could be quality material.

He began writing his experiences down and compiled them to create I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.  The majority of his stories involve women and how he treats them while sober and while drunk. To put it nicely, Tucker Max is a complete jerk, not only to women but to everyone. He even admits it multiple times in the novel, saying he is aware of his immature and rude actions towards others.  Nevertheless, the book was a huge success, so a movie was obviously the next step. 

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is now in theatres and causing quite a stir.  Max’s extremely sexist actions are the main cause of the stir. He is flat out rude towards woman. A conflict has arisen between the people who find his treatment of women disgusting and degrading and the people who find it wildly hilarious.

Personally, I’m the latter. Yes, I know that Max’s actions are wrong and I should be offended, but seriously? The situations he gets into and his varying levels of drunkenness make for the funniest book I’ve ever read. As a woman I would be offended if Max spoke to me the way he speaks to the women in his book but regardless of his sexist and crude tone, he tells the truth. Every comment, gibe and observation in his book is simultaneously horrifying, hilarious and true.  I know, it’s terrible and mildly disgusting but Max insults women and they STILL want to sleep with him. I have to give the guy props, he has immense talent at being rude and inspite of it getting laid.

Max admits he is a terrible person, gets too drunk, and has sex with way too many women.  But even though he treats women terribly, it is not all his fault. The women he writes about in his book let him treat them terribly. Woman repeatedly allow him to walk all over them and demand things of them.  In one situation Max even made a woman leave naked through his window because his friends were waiting outside the door and he didn’t want them to see her. These women never stop him or demand that he treat them better. Max is only a jerk because women let him be one. Also, Max feels little to no remorse for his actions.  He is merely searching for attention and the women he runs into give him just that.

I know that because I’m a woman I should attempt to defend my sex and whatnot but somehow being a woman doesn’t stop me from finding the humor in Max’s situations. The stories he tells in I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell are so crazy I couldn’t help but almost pee my pants from laughing so hard.