Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Lawrence Guide

Record Store Day – April 17
One of my favorite holidays, Record Store Day, is an event in which artists release special LPs, EPs, 7″s etc. just for this one day. This event is like an awesome garage sale where you know you are going to find something good. Though it many not seem like it, Record Store Day is an event for everyone. Even if you’re not that in to any of the bands releasing music for this holiday, everyone loves money and these rarities usually go for quite a bit on eBay. The two Lawrence record stores participating in this event are Love Garden Sounds and Kief’s Downtown Music.
Beach House / Bachelorette – April 6 @ The Granada
On tour for their latest album, which is my favorite release of 2010 so far, Beach House is coming to the Granada. There has been some confusion over this concert ever since it was moved from the Jackpot to the Granada. However, the poster outside the Granada says that along with the venue change, the age has changed from 18+ to all ages. In my opinion, their best album yet is Teen Dream. It was an instant indie-pop classic and was given a 9.0 rating by the music website Pitchfork.com. The band has been compared to acts such as Nico and The Zombies. I would recommend attending this is a concert even if you haven’t heard them before, as there really isn’t anything not to like about this band. Take my word for it and go see Beach House.
Flaming Lips / Minus the Bear / Dead Weather / White Rabbits / The Ettes – April 23 @ Sandstone Amphitheater
If I could use a YouTube video to describe this concert, I would. Even if the Flaming Lips are not your favorite band, the show they put on will make it worth your while. The Flaming Lips are notorious for having their frontman, Wayne Coyne, go crowd surfing in a giant hamster ball, confetti cannons, dancing santas and the occasional entrance via U.F.O. If that isn’t enough for you, there are four other bands perfoming including one of Jack White’s bands, the Dead Weather. Instead of thinking of this as a concert, think of it as a huge party, as that is exactly what it will end up being.
Other concerts:
1. Camera Obscura – April 7 @ The Bottleneck
2. The Big Pink – April 10 @ The Bottleneck
3. Rogue Wave – April 14 @ The Bottleneck
Supporting their fourth album, Permalight, Rogue Wave is a concert for pretty much everyone. For those of you who were at the Jack Johnson concert last year, Rogue Wave was the second band that opened for him.
4. Jónsi Birgisson – April 22 @ Liberty Hall
Frontman of Icelandic band Sigur Ros, Jonsi is playing at Liberty Hall in support of his debut solo album, Go.
Beach House – Silver Soul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqA6Xh1rKmc