Lawrence Guide

Banff Mountain Film Festival – September 10 & 11 @ Liberty Hall
Don’t you just love outdoor activities such as rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding and white water rafting? And don’t you just love that we can do all those activities right in our backyard? Oh wait, this is Kansas. Well now, thanks to the Banff Mountain Film Festival, we can experience all those activities and more without leaving Lawrence. Even if you aren’t an outdoor enthusiast, the Banff Film Festival is a way to learn about remote cultures and places most people will never travel to. This festival travels to 30 countries, reaching hundreds of thousands of people and is a great opportunity for all ages.

Girl Talk – September 10  @ Crossroads – Kansas City
Girl Talk is pretty much a concert for everyone. The best way to describe Gregg Gillis’s (aka Girl Talk) music is to compare it to an all-you-can-eat buffet. There is something there for everyone. He takes snippets, or samples, of many different artists and mashes them all up into a song. For example, in his song called “Play Your Part (Pt. 1),” he samples a total of 26 artists including: Jay-Z, Rage Against the Machine, Roy Orbison and Pete Townshend. While some people may say what he does isn’t music, it will be a great show no matter what you want to call it. Girl Talk shows are notorious for crazy people, lots of confetti, toilet paper cannons and ending with the majority of the crowd onstage.

Pavement – September 11  @ Uptown – Kansas City
Even though it’s a reunion show, there still have been few times I have been this excited for a concert. On Saturday September 11, the indie-rock group Pavement will perform at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City. Pavement had been on hiatus for 10 years before they announced this reunion tour. Although we were very young when their music was most popular, they are still very influential and have inspired many modern bands, including The National (also playing at the Uptown on the 29). I would not recommend missing this show.

Art Career Fair – September 22 @ Free State cafeteria
Who likes art? Who likes money? If you do, from 7-9 p.m. on September 22, Free State will host the first ever Art Career Fair. This is a great opportunity for students and their parents to talk with working professionals and see how it is possible to make a career out of art. The Art Career Fair will also educate students about what they need to do now, and in college to prepare for a career in art. There will be 25 different professionals attending this event, including: a furniture designer, comic book artist, computer game designer and an architect.

Girl Talk live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT0tX_h6U8E

Banff Film Festival: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uso3ZaEX21g