Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Prom Throwback

“Back in the day….” is almost never a phrase you want to hear from a teacher. That is, unless it means seeing their old school prom dresses and hearing their oh-so-interesting stories.

Steve Grant – Kaupan High School, 1968
Assistant Athletic Director Steve Grant is pictured with his 1968 Prom date and present wife Mary. The two went to separate gender-specific Catholic high schools in Wichita, KS. They married in 1972. Oh and, that guy in the back? Her older brother.

Alice Karakas – Lyndon High School, 1998
“I went to three Proms (1997-1999). I was asked by a junior friend as a sophomore. As juniors the next year, we were in charge of Prom, so I remember us getting into trouble for playing ‘foul’ music in the gym while we decorated for our theme: ‘A Night in Wonderland.’ Both junior and senior years I attended with my high school boyfriend. I went to such a small school that my senior year the school called my parents when I didn’t show up for after-Prom. I went to a 2A, so everyone kept track of everyone.”
Laura Rightmeier – Shawnee Mission North High School, 1993
“I went to my senior Prom with my sophomore boyfriend, Dan. We ate at Gojo’s in Westport, KS, went to Prom and then drove to Lawrence to see a concert. I sewed my own dress and he left a hand-print on my knee that wouldn’t come out because the sweat on his palm crushed the blue velvet. Be careful where you put your hands on Prom night, gentlemen; you may leave evidence.”

Amy Hill – Shawnee Mission North High School, 2001
“For Prom a group of my girlfriends who did not have dates went with my boyfriend at the time and I to Prom.  We went to dinner at a restaurant and then we headed to prom.  We all rode together.  The Prom was held at my high school in the gym.  After prom my high school held what they called ‘after prom’ at a local Bowling ally/ ice rink.  It was from 12-3 am.  We all attended and bowled and skated and played pool.  They had drawing for prizes.  It was a fun time.  After ‘after prom’, we when out to breakfast at Denny’s.  All and all it was a very fun night.  We danced and took lots of pictures.  Almost all of my friends came to prom whether they had dates or not.”

Katrina Rothrock – Washburn Rural High School, 1991
“For my Prom I wound up asking a guy from another high school in Topeka. We hadn’t really talked much, but knew each other from various city high school events. We decided to meet at my house, go to dinner at a pizza place, then go home and change for the dance.

“Dinner was awkward. He didn’t really talk.  I guess that explained why we hadn’t really talked much before. We changed clothes, we took pictures at my house. We went to his house. We took pictures. Actually, his parents didn’t just take pictures, they videotaped us taking pictures.  And videotaped us getting in the car. And driving down the street. I remember turning around and still seeing the little red light on the camera that showed it was still taping. Weird.

We went to the dance, where we, well, didn’t talk. Poor guy. I don’t know what I was thinking, asking someone who didn’t know my friends at all.”
Meghan Hardy – Independence High School, 1998
“In Independence, Prom is all about where you eat beforehand (usually out of town since there weren’t any good restaurants when I was there) and your transportation there. That prom was the only one that all of my friends went to, which makes a big difference in the outcomes of the night. The only downside was that my date was not able to resist his signature dance move–ripping off his shirt during his show-off dance.”
Laurie Folsom – Ottawa High School, 1991
For years I had a crush on a cute Mormon boy which was hopeless because his family didn’t approve of dating. Our junior year at Ottawa High School we were told by our history teacher we were advanced enough we could spend our class alone in the library studying at our own pace. Thanks, Mr. Clark! When Spring Break rolled around we each tried to call and invite the other to Prom at the exact same time and got a busy signal. After a couple of calls we finally worked out our double date with his sister and best friend. That night I found out my date liked to drive fast when he made a 30-minute drive to the Holidome in Lawrence in 18 minutes.