Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Rising Above: a Free State Tradition

7:50  I arrive at LHS and get the last visitor parking space. Parking seems to be a problem here. Unlike Free State there are not assigned parking spaces.

7:55  I meet my escort for the day, junior Jake Mather. Already the faculty and students of LHS seem kind and welcoming. The Rotunda doesn’t seem as crowded as the Commons before school.

7:58  Jake introduces me to his forth hour AP US History teacher. She’s very nice and gives me permission to take two of LHS’s four lunches.

7:59  I meet some of Jake’s friends, who fill me in on the various clique’s of their school. Like West Junior High, LHS is diverse, but people of similar socioeconomic backgrounds stick together.

8:00  Off to first hour Computer Applications. The hallways are more crowded here. If I wasn’t following Jake, I would be lost at this point.

8:15  Bored in Computer Apps class, I log on to a computer. Unlike at Free State, the announcements do not appear immediately on screen. It seems as though everyone in this class is wearing red.

8:45  The teacher informs me that Fridays are spirit days, which explains the red. The girl at the computer next me, Marissa Einsenhour, explains that she thinks LHS has more foundation for tradition, thus they have more school spirit. It may have something to do with the fact that LHS has been around since the dawn of time.

9:09  Second Hour Advanced American Literature: This teacher needs to come to Free State,  seriously, this is one of the best English Class experiences I’ve had since junior high. The teacher is a very patient woman, but her class is still intellectually stimulating.

9:35  I’m having to rely on my watch to give me an accurate time, all the clocks at LHS are off. Everything at LHS seems more laid back: the teachers are not as uptight and students don’t seem to be as dressed up.

10:16  Instead of following Jake to AP Calculus I opt to go to Junior/Senior Women’s Choir with one of his friends.

10:21  Ms. Crispino, the choir director, is very welcoming. She gives me a place to stand with the altos and hands me a folder of music. Along with everyplace else at this school, the atmosphere is chill. These women also seem to be much better at not talking during rehearsal than the Women’s Choir at Free State.

11:18  No offense LHS, but Free State has better Latin diction, but guess what? LHS has more school spirit. I think it evens out. As a two-year member of Free State’s Women’s choir, I’ve come to appreciate good Latin diction.

11:20  I go to first lunch to take pictures. The lunchroom is more crowded and noisy. It’s hard to get around the tables. Where are the tater tots?

11:45   Apparently, LHS does not have tater tots.

11:49  According to my observations there are fewer people who dress strangely. However,  I see several pairs of cowboy boots.

12:30  The AP US History teacher should also transfer to Free State. Quality teacher, I would sign up for her class. She makes something as boring as Washington crossing the Delaware River seem fascinating.

1:00  I join the Lawrence High School Budget. I can see why they sell more ads than us, that’s what the staff works on during class.

1:30  So far it’s been a good day. Other than the unsynchronized clocks and Latin word pronunciation, LHS is a great school. But, there’s no place like home.

2:03  Jake is a teacher’s aid 6th hour, so I decide to leave early. As I leave the building, I see a teacher whose kids I babysit occasionally. I’m not sure if I should call him by his first or last name, so I just “Hey” and leave him in a confused state as I go to the office to check out.

To read Jon Cohen’s reaction to being a Firebird for a day, go to http://www.lhsbudget.com/opinion/2009/09/24/firebird-for-a-day-budget-staffer-jon-cohen-investigates/.
View Comments (2)