Paws Pleas

Starting a business in today’s economy is very risky, especially straight out of high school. But that didn’t stop Free State Graduate Lisa Willard. For about six months, Willard and her family have been working hard on the new business they call Paws Pleas. Despite having cerebral palsy, she is able to make pet products by using switch-operated machines.
Because of her disability, she was supposed to receive assistance to help her find a job upon graduation.
“With the current waiting lists and budget difficulties, I would have had to wait 2-3 years to get that assistance,” Willard said via email. “I and my parents decided that that was not acceptable, so we searched for ideas to fit my abilities.”
Aware of the limited local assistance she would receive, Willard and her family began to work with the Kansas Council on Developmental Disabilities for added financial support and help starting the business. Willard has also received help from friends. They have tested products and even provided ideas for new ones.
“Opportunities for students with severe disabilities are limited and I think the business that Lisa has chosen is very cool,” special services teacher Will Severson said.
He worked with Lisa when she attended Free State and is now a customer. The dog bed for Zoey the therapy dog is from Lisa’s website www.pawspleas.com.
“It’s a great opportunity for kids with severe disabilities to be able to be self-employed,” Severson said.
In the future Lisa hopes to be able to create jobs for others.
“We hope to work with local agencies to guide disabled young people towards finding a more fulfilling future for themselves,” Willard said.