Concerto Concert Soloists

Emily Paulsen

To some a broken instrument on the first day of band might be taken as a sign that playing an instrument was not for them, but it only encouraged senior Emily Paulsen to keep trying.

Paulsen began playing in sixth grade on a clarinet, but things took an unexpected turn.

“My best friend broke [my clarinet] on the first day of band,” Paulsen said. “so I went to the pawn shop, and all they had was a flute so that’s why I play flute.”

Now, six years later, Paulsen is playing a solo for the Concerto Concert on February 23. She is performing “Suite in B Minor” by Bach.
 “It’s just a great experience to get out of playing with the band, and you get to go play with the orchestra,” she said.  

Paulsen also plays small ensembles like trios and quintets.

“But solos are fun,” she said.

She began practicing for her upcoming solo about six months ago, and she had to sign up and audition in front of a panel of judges.  The music she will play at the February concert is also the audition music for state band, but for now she’s focusing on the concert.

Jenny Loewen

While you may not know the song by name many people have heard at least the beginning lines to the first movement of “Concerto in A minor” by Vivaldi. Senior Jenny Loewen will play it on violin in the Concerto Concert.  

[Playing solos] is what I love to do,” Loewen said. “Although it can be scary up there, it’s just being able to express in the form of music I think is so neat.”

Loewen has been playing violin since third grade. Her family is very musical and they always encouraged her to play. She says her sisters inspired her the most.

“A couple of my sisters started to play the violin because of school and I wanted to join after they did,” Loewen said.

To prepare, Loewen plays her solo over and over and she focuses on trouble spots in the music.

“After getting it memorized and getting all that and the notes ready I kind of just work on expression and the other details,” she said.

This is not Loewen’s first time performing a solo in the Concerto Concert and she knows it definitely won’t be her last time soloing in a concert.

Peter Lesslie

Experts say the cello is the closest instrument to the human voice. Senior Peter Lesslie will solo on this instrument in the Concerto Concert. 

“It’s my senior year so I wanted to do something special,” Lesslie said.

Lesslie has been playing the cello since sixth grade. He chose that particular stringed instrument due to his mother’s encouragement. 

“She likes the sound of [the cello] and I liked the sound of the cello so that’s why I chose [to play it],” he said.

He has been practicing for this solo for a year to get the sounds of “Haydn’s Concerto in C major” just right. 

Lesslie was basically taught as a soloist but he says that he also enjoys playing in chamber groups.

“I enjoy chamber music. There’s more intimacy in chamber music: it’s more of a conversation,” Lesslie said.

Liesel Reussner
Junior Liesel Ruessner plays the oboe as well as the mellophone and the piano.

“[The mellophone] is like a marching french horn,” Ruessner said.

Ruessner has been playing the oboe for eight years and will solo in the Concerto Concert this month. She is performing “Gabriel’s Oboe” from “The Mission”.

“I thought I’d give [the solo] a try. It could be kind of fun.” she said.

Ruessner chose the oboe in fourth grade because she liked its mellow sound.

“I knew I was going to play an instrument because my family’s really musical, but I just liked the sound of [the oboe] a lot,” she said.

She practices about 15-20 minutes a day with her mom, who is accompanying her on piano. 

“You have to work hard but everyone gets to hear you,” Ruessner said. “It’s a lot of fun.”