Guests of Honor

Usually the start of the year involves new classes, new teachers, new school books, etc. but for some students that’s not all that’s new. They ready their house for the new school year, fixing up their guest bedroom or cleaning up their bathroom for a year-long visitor.

“[Rebekka Deuse] is very much part of our family now.” said senior Liesel Reussner, “She’s like a sister.”

While there can be some certain language barriers Reussner says it was more difficult to get to know her than actually understanding her.

“At first it was really difficult to get to know her but her English was really good so it was easier to talk with her.” said Reussner, “It’s still pretty hard to know what she wants to be involved in and what she doesn’t.”

While getting ready for the foreign exchange students may have been easy for some students, others had to work a bit harder.

“We cleaned our house top to bottom.” said senior Ashley Abbott.

After exchanging emails Abbott and her family were able to plan what they were going to do together and Sophie Japp, Abbott’s foreign exchange student was able to give them important information about herself.

“We had to make sure she wasn’t allergic to any of our pets.” said Abbott.

While Japp was only visiting America for a few short weeks Abbott said that adjusting to her presence wasn’t that rough.

“I’m just a laid back person so it didn’t really affect me.” she said. “It was probably harder for her to adjust because it was her first time away from home.”

Though adjusting to a new school has been a challenge, some foreign exchange students are finding ways to keep the stress of a new school at bay.

“[The Slough family] always take me new places,” said Swedish senior Elin Gotting, “They’ve taken me to the demolition derby, shopping, to my grandparent’s house, and I’ve been to Worlds of Fun.”

Though being a long way from home Gotting really only has the bare essentials.

“I only packed my favorite clothes and then I took my camera.” said Gotting.

As usual the beginning of a new school year involves new friends, new teachers, and new classes but it also brings new guests of honor and those who take them in like family.

View Comments (3)