Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Jack Garvin: Acting Out in Class and On Stage

“If I were to describe myself in one word, I would probably say that I’m lively,” junior Jack Garvin said.

Garvin spent the first half of the day with one of his good friends junior Tim Rosenbloom. From their second hour independent study, all the way until lunch, they were both constantly cracking jokes.

After lunch, Garvin tried to persuade juniors Adelle Loney and Regan Keasling into giving him a free t-shirt and then decided he would show up late to his next class. Garvin’s teachers were not phased by the random student following him around for the day and acted like he had done stranger things in the past.

Although he liked to joke around during class, Garvin still respected his teachers and very seldom interrupted the class. The people in his classes and at his lunch table seemed to have one of two reactions to Garvin. After conversing with him, they were either laughing or were quite uncomfortable.

After the last bell rang, Garvin seemed to be even livelier than he was the rest of the day as he headed toward the theater area of Free State. Seeing Garvin running around backstage in his Hercules costume preparing for “The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza” made it clear that acting is his forte. All the chaos that goes on behind the curtain seemed to be the perfect environment for him.

The next day, Garvin was especially lively during school for the opening night of the play. During both his Seminar and Advanced American Literature class, he attempted to talk students in to going to the play instead of seeing the new Harry Potter movie.

At the play, junior Stephen Bowman, a friend of Garvin laughed at how extremely short his Hercules toga was. He brought a lot of humor to the play as he threatened to destroy almost every person who was on stage with him. Garvin even found a way to joke around during the play as he rolled up the shorts he was wearing under his toga during the intermission. As he ran across the stage,  someone in the crowd whispered “he forgot his pants”. After the play, he thanked us for going and made sure we recognized the prank he pulled.

Garvin’s energetic and outgoing personality make him a great actor for the school plays and also an exciting student to follow around for a day.