Hello My Name is…Laura Rightmeier

After much consideration I chose to follow math teacher Laura Rightmeier to get a taste of all the classes she teaches. Not only did I sit in on a geometry class but I also got to be a part of her third hour algebra class and her fifth hour AP statistics class.

Geometry 9:35-11:05

It’s geometry and the class is learning about solving systems. I find myself working out those systems without really thinking about it. Rightmeier talks to them as though they were little kids, which might be taken as a bad thing but these students are listening to her.

In a quick moment between turning their homework in and beginning the lesson the students expertly move the conversation from solving equations to concerts they’ve been to.

“I went to a Beastie Boys concert in Canada,” Rightmeier said. “We had a road trip from New York.”

The students seemed excited about how easy it is for Rightmeier to relate to them. However, after a few moments in which the class shares their favorite concert experience Rightmeier leads them back to the math path and starts the lesson.

It’s their second lesson on solving equations and the students all groan. Rightmeier just smiles and repeats everything she is teaching about 20 times. It’s effective, after about the 15th time the kids start to repeat it back to her. Her teaching technique hasn’t changed since I was a student in her class and honestly I’m not surprised. Math with Rightmeier always seemed easier than other teachers I’d had in the past. She smiles at them again and then she delivers her final blow.

“Well, I’m glad you’re getting this because we’re going to have a pop quiz!” she says.

There is another chorus of groaning and Rightmeier continues with her lesson. The closer she gets to ending it the quieter the students get. They all look a little worried about this upcoming pop quiz and some are consulting their notes.

Finally she tells them to split up their desks and we spend the rest of the hour in silence. I don’t get the chance to talk to Rightmeier about much, even while the tests are out, she’s too busy wandering amongst the classroom, offering help to those who need it.

Lunch 11:05-11:30

As soon as all the students file out Rightmeier takes out her giant teacher’s copy of the algebra book.

“I  guess I should plan for the next class.” she said, flipping through the pages.

She skims the pages of the lesson the kids are learning and finally shuts the book and starts looking for the  “Factoring Dominoes” in her drawers (something my class never got to play when I was in Algebra II).

We discuss the possibility of me eating lunch with the other math teachers but it is quickly decided that, since the math teachers like to gossip, it would be better for me to have lunch with my own friends.
Algebra II 11:35-1:05
Algebra II is quiet, so much more quiet than Rightmeier’s Geometry class. The sophomores are more outspoken than any of the juniors or seniors in the class. Some of them have blank looks on their faces as they look at their homework.
Rightmeier cheerfully takes out the bags of Factoring Dominoes. I have to admit, I always liked how no matter the energy level in any of her classes, she always seems to be cheerful.
Some kids have some troubles and I offer to help since Rightmeier is busy partnering up with another kid across the room. I notice about a third of her students are listening to their iPods or have their earbuds in their ears. There’s a secret texter in the back of her class that isn’t very good at hiding.
Shawn Woods, a student teacher in the math department comes in telling Rightmeier of an email he shared with her. After telling the kids they were going to learn the quadratic formula she shows the link Woods emailed her.
It’s the quadratic equation Soldja Boy style. The students all look at each other and then back up at the screen and then they start to laugh. After the video ends Rightmeier sings it her own way.
“Ok guys, are you listening?” she says “Because I’m only going to sing this once.”
She brings out a box that her three year old owns. It’s got song titles on the side and she has ‘Pop Goes the Weasel’ facing her. She pounds on it and the song begins.
“X equals negative b/plus or minus the square root/of b squared minus four times a c/all over two a,” she sings.
The class cheers and claps for her and Rightmeier smiles. Then she starts her lesson.
“I am smarter than my calculator,” she says many times.

AP statistics 1:10-2:35
The AP statistics class is a lot more vocal than any of the other classes I’ve sat in on. Many of the students are talking across the room at each other and those who aren’t have congregated in the middle of the room.
When the bell rings Rightmeier tries to start class. However there is so much other discussion that it makes it almost impossible for a few minutes. Finally she manages to calm the class down and begin her lesson on Discrete and Continuous Random Variables.
They end class by playing craps. A few of the class members yell out how good or bad their opponent is doing and there is a lot of laughter. It’s a very tight-knit group they’re constantly making jokes and talking to each other. They even start to bring me in on the fun by occasionally making faces at me.

Mrs. Rightmeier-An Outline

Name: Laura Rightmeier
College Attended: Cleveland State University, transferred to KU in her junior year
Currently Teaching: geometry, algebra II, AP statistics
Teaching Technique: very “old school”, she goes over homework, lectures, and lets her students do their homework.
Favorite class to teach: AP statistics
Became a teacher because: “I like acting, I like always being on the stage so this is perfect for me.”
Influencing Teacher: mentor teacher, Laura Edward. She worked with kids with autism and severe disabilities. She was so patient and “really, really, really made a difference in kid’s lives.”
Favorite part of teaching: Interacting with kids, the little spark of interest when they get it.
Least favorite part of teaching: grading papers, dealing with parents
Favorite part of Math: It’s logical
Clubs or Organizations: LINK Crew
Notes: tries to integrate technology with individual attention, Rightmeier volunteered at the special education building her junior and senior year, has two kids; Jasper and Jorey, graduated high school thinking she would be working with kids with severe disabilities