Philosophy Club

People express themselves through everyday actions and words, through the music they listen to, movies they watch, even the clothes they wear. Philosophy Club gives members a chance to express themselves through direct, civil discussion of various moral, political and religious subjects.

Consisting of around 15 members at each meeting, Philosophy Club meets in Jason Springer’s room 253 every Friday after school. Discussions are centered around topics either presented by any attending member, or based off a movie that the club watches together.

“People come to Philosophy Club to express themselves and to discuss interesting and thought-provoking topics,” senior Calvert Pfannenstiel said. Students who come to Philosophy Club meetings are encouraged to freely share their thoughts. Pfannenstiel’s job is to lead discussion in a direction that remains civil and orderly. Although crowded meetings add a little confusion, Philosophy Club would like to find new members to contribute more and deeper ideas to their discussions.

Senior Alex Kong believes that growth within the club will lead to structural changes.

“I can see us breaking off into smaller groups within the club each week,” Kong said. Many meetings consist of watching a movie and following up with a discussion about its various themes. At one point the club watched the movie Children of Men and had notable discussion about its elements.

The leaders moderate discussion during meetings to ease the flow of ideas for individuals and the group when the occasional mental roadblock or inconsiderate interruption loses focus on the subject at hand.

Subjects discussed range from moral issues, to politics and religion. These mature topics aren’t just discussed by senior members of the club.

“Everyone gives the same amount,” senior Elise Loney said. “Sophomores who’ve never even been to a meeting before have all these ideas that they’re excited to share. They’re still good at shaping their ideas and coming up with something that we can elaborate on and discover together.”

What makes the club remarkable is that it allows free expression for Free State students of all ages and ideologies. A simple thought from anyone can bloom into a colorful exchange of interpretations leaving all involved with a new take on the subject.