LINKed in for the new year

In past years, the sophomores would be greeted by a welcoming committee of specially chosen juniors and seniors in a group called LINK. The new students would be taken to their seminar teacher’s classroom and would participate in a number of activities that would help them make new friends and overcome challenges they might face during the school year.

That’s all about to change this year.

Freshmen moving up is just one change among many others. Without seminars, the LINK Crew has had to entirely re-do their approach. There are specific dates set up for freshmen and sophomore assemblies where LINK leaders and their group of underclassmen will talk about what they are going to face in the upcoming year.
These specific dates with assemblies, meant to teach the students about the inner workings of the school, bring yet another change to the school year. On the day of an assembly instead of school starting at 9 a.m. for late arrival school will begin a full hour earlier. That’s right, forget about that extra hour of sleep or latte from McDonald’s.
There is no question about it, the 2011-2012 school year is different from all the other years. With half of the school new of the building, everyone should expect change. While the schedule may not exactly make sense and not all the seniors are entirely welcoming (see page 7), there is no doubt that this is definitely going to be a year to remember.