Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Holiday Hoopla

Holiday Hoopla

It is that time of year again. The time of year when Christmas carols pollute the air waves with their holiday cheer and stores deck their halls with boughs of holly and greenery.

But all of this pre-holiday mayhem has been the cause of consumer controversy.

In the spirit of Charlie Brown, many people believe Christmas is too commercialized and are protesting the early holiday spirit that stores and radio stations jollily ram down their throats. Stores such as Macy’s and J.C. Penny’s have already begun their holiday preparations with lavish decorations and promises of pre-holiday sales.

“I think it has its perks,” junior Leah Gruber said. “I like seeing all the Christmas things out early but I don’t like all the insane shopping on Black Friday,”

The criticism surrounding the consumer driven holiday Black Friday is justifiable.  Americans spent about $45 billion on Black Friday sales according to the National Retail Association and spent about $76 billion throughout the2010 holiday season making it one of the highest grossing November and December on record.

Stores aren’t the only places to jump the gun on the holiday frenzy. Many radio stations and advertising agencies start jingling the Christmas bells in October ensuring that Christmas turns into a season-long event that dwarfs both Halloween and Thanksgiving.

A Topeka station, KMAJ 107.7 has already begun to play Christmas tunes for evening listeners and will be playing Christmas music around the clock beginning Thanksgiving Day.

Many see this Christmas extravaganza as a reflection on the greed and materialism of American society and the effects commercialism has had on our holiday traditions. But for as much time Americans spend complaining about the commotion Christmas creates, some see the positive rewards in early preparation.

“It’s really frustrating because it is really early but then again it also gets you really excited for winter break,” Senior Kelly Kristiansen said.

Early holiday celebrations also allow people to have something to look forward to, knowing that the end of a fiscal year will soon be over and that people will have a short but well deserved break with their families.

While the criticism of impatience and commercialism that surrounds the holiday season will continue, most will take the commotion in their stride and come December 25, many will realize the true meanings of what the holidays are all about; love, friendship and family.