Fuzzy’s Tacos

Don’t worry, the tacos at Fuzzy’s Taco Shop aren’t actually fuzzy.

Located at 1115 Massachusetts street, Fuzzy’s is a new addition to Lawrence’s dining scene. In order to get a good taste of the restaurant, we ordered the typical taco shop staples. We sampled the chips and salsa, queso, the “Special Beef Burrito,” shrimp taco, fish taco and shredded beef taco.

As we were waiting for our food, we soaked in the atmosphere. Fuzzy’s is not necessarily a place you should suggest for a family dinner. The restaurant’s slogan is “eat me,” which is shamelessly plastered all over the walls, along with phrases such as “We put the T and A in TACO.”

Mid taco-bite, I caught a glimpse of the back of the Fuzzy’s staff T-shirt. It read, “It looks like a taco, and smells like a fish, it’s got to be a tasty dish. Eat me!” Needless to say, their shirts did nothing to spur my appetite. However, some find it hilarious. Fuzzy’s is not for those who are easily offended.

A few minutes after we sat down, our order number was called. Miranda and Allison walked up to retrieve our stacked trays of food, while I waited in anticipation. Were the tacos really going to be fuzzy?

The tacos did not appear fuzzy. Instead, the fish, shrimp and beef tacos were covered in heaping amounts of cilantro and feta cheese. On the first bite, I noticed the “garlic sauce” was probably ranch dressing with a bit of extra garlic. However, like any good taco, all the elements (lettuce, tomatoes, garlic sauce, meat) combined to create a fairly delicious taco experience.

The flavor of the shredded beef was perfect. The shrimp was tender and well seasoned but the taco was not bursting with plump shrimp pieces. Although Lawrence is incredibly far from any substantial body of water, we agreed that the seafood at Fuzzy’s was, by far, its best quality. The tacos are also kind of small, so for a substantial meal, order two or three.

At Fuzzy’s, an order of chips means unlimited refills. However, more chips may not be necessary because their “salsa” is not salsa. The chunky, dark red goop tasted like a cross between chili and jarred pasta sauce. On the other hand, Fuzzy’s queso, arriving in a steaming Styrofoam bowl, tasted every bit as good as melted white cheese should taste.

Besides the suggestive phrases, Fuzzy’s also has a few big screen televisions mounted on the walls, for those who can’t go to a restaurant unless they can catch the big game. The atmosphere is pretty chill; and with substantial dinners checking in at under $10, Fuzzy’s is frequented by college students.

Fuzzy’s is definitely Tex-Mex, as evidenced by the questionable salsa. However, the garlic sauce, cilantro and feta and quality meat and seafood make for a really delicious, affirmatively non-fuzzy taco.