Mustache Madness

Few things separate the men from the boys in the world; how capable one is in growing facial hair is one of them.

This month gives those who have not yet participated in this art a chance to grow that sweet mustache they’ve always wanted free from judgment. Or perhaps they can grow that full Albus Dumbledore beard, Elvis Presley side burns or any other type of whisker by not shaving for the entire month of November for No Shave November. The name is pretty self-explanatory, for the entire month of November men (and some women) do not shave at all.  However, some feel that they can not participate in No Shave November because not shaving will make them look a little more hairy then they want to be.

How quickly hair can sprout from a man’s chin or lip can factor into whether or not they participate in that tradition.

“I’m not participating. If I don’t shave for a whole month I start growing facial hair everywhere and it just looks really trashy,” sophomore Zade Safadi said.

Others feel obligated to let their hair down, or grow in this case.

“Of course [I’m participating],” junior Ian Patterson said. “My brother started [participating] and I got really into it because Patrick brought it up.”

The No-Shave fever has even spread as far as some of the staff.

“[My beard] won’t come off until probably next spring when it gets warmer,” film teacher Scott Smith. “Everyone will say ‘who’s that guy?’”

Many students had already started growing facial hair even before No Shave November.

“I always wanted a Teddy Roosevelt mustache,” Patterson said who’s mustache currently isn’t Teddy Roosevelt material, “it looks like the most cuddly and the most fun to grow.”

Influenced by famous historical figures, like the past president whose facial hair he strives after, Patterson really began growing his mustache in his sophomore year. As of now Patterson hasn’t met his goal mustache but he is definitely on his way.

“I just decided I wanted to see if I could do it or not,” Patterson said.

However, as most males can tell you, some grow facial hair quicker than others.

“It took me a month, maybe two, to grow my beard,” Safadi said. “I grow facial hair pretty quickly so that’s not a problem.”

Currently Safadi keeps his beard very clean, growing mostly on his chin.

November is normally known as the month of Thanksgiving. Time to show thanks for friends family, and not having to shave in the morning.