Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Appreciation of the Arts

Our school was well represented at the recent protest against the move to replace the Kansas Arts Commission with a private, nonprofit organization. Several students including Liza Farr, Alec Fitzgerald, Clair Murphy-Beach, Amy Stahl, Keil Eggers and Alan O’Neal played an important role in opposing an executive order passed by Governor Brownback. The protesting was against legislation that would cut funding for arts programs.

These students travelled to the state’s capitol on Thursday, February 24th, holding signs showing their support of the Kansas Arts Commission.

“Brownback passed an executive order that cut funding from the Arts Commission,” senior Liza Farr said. “That also meant the federal funding we received was cut and he wants to privatize the Arts Commission.”

Farr then went on to talk about exactly how they represented how they felt about the event and the veto. She and the others protesting felt that it was unfair to kids who appreciate the arts. She also noted how the congressmen appreciated them being there and standing up for something they believe in.

“Overall, the senators enjoyed having us there and they would pat us on our backs and explain to us that we were doing a good thing,” said senior Alec Fitzgerald who took part in the protesting in Topeka.

“We had an overall positive reaction from everybody,” Fitzgerald said. Fitzgerald felt the protesting was an overall success. He talked about how although the protesting may not change the  mind of Brownback, they still did a good thing in showing that they cared about something that could be cut of funding.

Claire Murphy Beach was another senior who represented funding for the arts programs.  

“Our role was basically to stand out there and show them we cared and why we cared,” Murphy-Beach explained. “Whether or not they took our point of view into consideration was up to them.”

It turns out their protesting was a success. On March 16th, the senate passed a resolution to oppose Gov. Brownback’s order to abolish the commission. Through the political activism of these students, they were able to show that they were willing to get out and protest in order to get funding for their Arts Commission.