Free Press

Women’s Restroom Opened to All Genders

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women’s Restroom Opened to All Genders

Previously, students uncomfortable using gendered restrooms have had availability to staff restrooms as an alternate. Now, an all-gender bathroom has created equal access for all.

Brisa Salas-Pfaff

Brisa Salas-Pfaff

Brisa Salas-Pfaff

Jori Rudisell, Reporter

Brisa Salas-Pfaff
Labeled with a sign marking the change to who can access the bathroom, the all-gender bathroom is available in the 400 hallway.

On Monday October 23, Free State opened the first multi-stall gender neutral bathroom. The bathroom is a converted girl’s restroom because of the stalls that provide privacy.

While there were already plans in place to renovate current bathrooms during the 2019 construction for Free State, the Gender-Sexuality Alliance went to principal Myron Graber asking for their to be a temporary solution before the future renovations.

The district requires teachers to use correct student pronouns and allows transgender students to use locker rooms corresponding to their gender identity, but does not require the school to provide gender neutral restrooms according to the USD 497 non-discrimination policy.

Along with the commencement of the new restroom comes possible vandalism. Vandalism has been an issue in the boys bathroom in the past, but has been improving in recent years according the Graber.

“We want students to be respectful and to understand that [vandalism has been decreasing],” Graber said. “But we still have a ways to go.”  

Future Courageous Conversations, will have more topics covering how to respect gender neutral spaces and how to respect one another Graber said.