The School Newspaper of Lawrence Free State High School

Free Press

Letter to the Editor: Student body co-presidents address their experiences, priorities

Cook and Newsome pose as Firebirds. The duo's campaign slogan was

Cook and Newsome pose as Firebirds. The duo's campaign slogan was "We mean business."

Will Cook

I came to Free State from a small middle school and was very nervous about how I would do at such a big school. Free State was very accepting and treated/has treated me very well through my three years. I joined student council my sophomore year. I wanted to become president because I love Free State and want the best for the school. One thing that I want to help with is getting adequate funding for clubs. Free State provides so many opportunities to make new friends and be a part of different organizations and I don’t want those experiences in organizations to lack in any detail due to issues regarding money. I want every student to have a great experience at Free State.

Nicola Santangelo
Juniors Charlie Newsome and Will Cook laugh in front of the Firebird statue. The two were elected Student Body Presidents for the 2017-18 school year.

Charlie Newsome

I wanted to become president because Free State is already the greatest high school in the nation and it would be of the highest honor to be a student body co-president. Something I really to focus on is getting kids involved. Free State is filled with so many opportunities to do what you like and find a group of friends that suits you and I want every student to be a part of it.