Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Setting Up for State

Freshmen Haley Johnson completes her bar routine at the Free State invitational
Danielle Stringer

With the addition of new coach Danielle Hayes to the Free State and Lawrence High School gymnastics teams, the gymnasts have transitioned smoothly into their season. Following some standout leaders, the girls hope to have a successful season. So far they have one second place and three first place finishes, but they still have a lot ahead of them.

Every year, the Free State and Lawrence High gymnastics squads team up and overcome the rivalry to practice as a team. LHS gymnasts come to Free State every day after school. Although they practice together and share a coach, they still compete intensely at the meets.

“We aren’t really rivals against each other because we practice together,” junior Annie Soderberg said, “so we’re closer with them.”

On Sept. 24, Free State hosted its first home meet and scored in the top three in all events.

“The home meet ran smoothly,” junior Catherine Norwood said, “and coach Danny did really well making it run smoothly, which is impressive for running everything and serving as the only coach for two teams.”

Free State had gone undefeated (3-0) before its meet on Sept. 29, much because of the success of junior Jackie Zaitz. She placed first in two out of four meets by scoring more points all around than any other competitor.

Zaitz has been competing in gymnastics for about 14 years. She puts in the same 10 hours a week as the rest of the team, but Zaitz competes exceptionally well.

“People look up to Annie and I,” junior Jackie Zaitz said. “When other gymnasts have questions they can come to us and we’ll help them. The other gymnasts are doing really well. Most of them haven’t done gymnastics before and they’re really improving.”

On Sept. 29, the gymnastics team lost a meet by a fraction of a point. Free State had already beaten the teams there, but the competitors were out to beat Free State.

“It was one of our off days,” Zaitz said, “and the other teams’ goal was to beat us. I fell on bars, which is always my best event.”

Just the next Monday at the All-Around Invitational at Lawrence High, Zaitz bounced back and placed first on the bars and fourth all around. Free State freshman Grace Bartle placed third all around.

The team has a positive outlook on the rest of the season, and is set on winning State.
“I think we have a good chance,” Soderberg said. “We have already competed against every team in the state and beat them already.”

The girls’ next meet is the Sunflower League next Wednesday, Oct. 20, at Olathe Northwest High School.