Lawrence Guide– Halloween Edition

Kansas Citys The Beast (above)
Kansas City’s The Beast (above)

Haunted Houses in KC

Guaranteeing a spookifying, frightening, and terrifying time, Kansas City’s The Beast and The Edge of Hell hold a spot in the Top Ten Haunted Houses in the U.S. and for good reason. Known for its unique “open format” design (not always having to wade through a line while inside), America’s largest haunted house, The Beast, petrifies guests with many different atmospheres including the pitch black Werewolf Forest and the four-story exit slide. The Beast’s walk through takes about 40 minutes, and only has a halfway and an end exit, so be ready to fight the fright phobias after entering.

Known as the Grandaddy of haunted houses in Kansas City, The Edge of Hell set the bar for haunted houses after its opening in 1972. With gargantuan snakes and a three-story slide, the godfather of haunted houses shows off its new scary scenes every year, bound to give you a new experience every visit. The Edge of Hell is designed out of an old five-story warehouse and the walk through takes about 30 minutes. The only way to leave once inside is the mega slide at the end, sending you directly into the arms of the Devil.

Both haunted houses are prized and known around the world for their spook-tactics, so going to one or both would be the perfect way to start off your Halloween adventures. The attractions are open a few days out of the week until Oct. 31, and make sure to buy tickets online.

Worlds of Fun

No Halloween adventure guide would be complete if it didn’t include the Halloween Haunts at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. Although the park is seemingly de-spooked during the day, by nightfall (8 p.m. exactly) the park turns into a creepy, haunted fear zone– imagine a super freaky version of the amusement park in “Zombieland.”

With nine different “haunts”– areas of different nightmarish themes– the park is set up to scare even the least jumpy of people. From crazy clowns to fog-filled old London to blood-sucking vampires, Worlds of Fun has thought of it all for those craving a fright-filled night. The park is divided into scarezones, haunts/mazes, shows, and family fun. The haunts double as mazes and they will definitely be the most frightening. Because only small groups are allowed into each haunt at a time, the lines will seem to be a little long, but it’s worth the wait.

Worlds of Fun’s Halloween Haunts are open on weekends from Sept. 17 to Oct. 30, including certain weekdays as Halloween draws nearer. Tickets are about $45, but you can save up to $15 if you purchase the tickets in advance. Parking tickets must also be purchased if you’re not being dropped off. Although the tickets are a little steep in price, the varied Halloween Haunts are bound to spook any visitor.

Revenge of the Nerds Halloween Ball 10/30/11 @ Bottleneck

Halloween is somewhat of a special event in Lawrence. This year’s grandiose Halloween event is at the Bottleneck and features a “Revenge of the Nerds” theme. The awesomely nerdy theme goes great with dressing up, and for those who have seen the movie know that there is a variety of wonderful, geektastic costumes to wear. If you don’t want to dress up like a character from “Revenge of the Nerds”, any 80’s chic will do great.The event includes a live show by the local band Ultimate Fakebook, a band that has become a Lawrence staple. Other bands on the bill are The ACB’s, Podstar, The Touchdowns, and Pyromaniac– an 80’s hair metal tribute band. Doors open at five p.m. and the event starts at 6 p.m. The entire event is free and all-ages.