Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

The young ones #3- a sophomore’s survival guide to being on the bottom

School is in full swing as teachers begin to assign projects and hand out tests. The weather acclimates into a cool breeze. And the football team settles their plays and starts to have more chemistry as a team.

This can only mean one thing:

Homecoming looms around the corner and some young ones may need a lesson on how-to survive homecoming. Free State celebrates homecoming differently by adding twists to some old traditions that were started during the first homecoming celebration at the University of Missouri in 1911.

With the help of upperclassmen, even the youngest at the school can get involved in the festivities that make up homecoming at Free State.

Throughout the week

In order to boost school spirit and lighten up people’s moods, Student Council created dress-up themes for each day.

Monday: Hats and shades day

Tuesday: Classy day

Wednesday: Dress like your favorite holiday

Thursday: Jersey day

Friday: Green day/Facial hair day

Just like junior high, these are similar to the spirit weeks that were often held once or twice a year. These days enable students to get as crafty as possible, so feel free to break out the paint or fish through some old costumes to find the perfect outfit for each theme.

On Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, various entertainment will be provided throughout the school in the evening.

Monday

At 7 p.m., there will be a bonfire by the Free State garden. This has been the quintessence of homecoming week, where students can purchase the official homecoming-themed shirt and enjoy food and drinks. Students can also visit the FYI tent and splatter-paint shirts for the dance on Saturday or listen to the music provided by HYPE club.

Wednesday

The volleyball courts will be packed with teams competing in the annual tournament, which consists of male-based players. “Voll-he-ball” will also begin at 7 p.m. in the main gym. Teams have already been set, but fans are always welcome to watch and cheer.

Thursday

Girls will trade the boys in the role of football kickers and receivers and take a chance to score some touchdowns of their own. The powder-puff football games start at 7 p.m. on the main football field.

The homecoming assembly will be held after second hour in the large gym. During the assembly, the homecoming video will be shown. Votes can be cast later at lunch. And even if a homecoming queen and king are a “couple,” they do not have to be voted for together. The votes will be tabulated and announced on Friday during half-time of the football game.

Friday

The homecoming parade will begin at 2:45 p.m., travelling down Wakarusa Street. The parade will include the marching band, a variety of clubs, each grade and their respective themed float and the homecoming candidates.

Students are also encouraged to join the varsity football team at 7 p.m. on the home turf for a game against Shawnee Mission Northwest. The typical half-time show will occur before the game. The crowning of the king and queen will occur at half-time.

Saturday

The week concludes with the “techno dance” on Saturday. The dance will stay with the theme and play techno music and students are encouraged to wear bright colors and neon. Unlike many schools across the nation, students at Free State do not dress formally for the homecoming dance, but dates from other schools are allowed, as long as they were signed up in the office before Saturday.

To continue with the techno theme, FYI will also be sponsoring a recycled robot competition, which is open for anyone to join. Students need to have their robots completed by Wednesday with the hopes of winning one of two $25 prizes or the grand prize of $50.

This may seem like a busy week filled with activities that are only available for a small population of students, but everyone is welcome to whatever they can attend.

This coming week will only be successful with the participation of everyone, so grab a group of friends and cheer on the seniors, juniors and the younger classmates that are participating.

For a full list of spirit days and homecoming activities, along with pictures, go to the homecoming timeline (https://www.fsfreepressonline.com/entertainment/2011/09/16/2409/). Also check the Free Press Twitter feed, @fsfreepress, for pictures and news about the upcoming week.