Free State Scouts Making a Difference

For every 100 boys that enter Boy Scouts, only four manage to reach the level of Eagle Scout.

For those who do, the accomplishment serves as a great resource for resumes and general life experiences.

Free State junior Joe Waisner started Boy Scouts back when he was in second grade and has stuck with it all the way into high school.

Waisner completed his Eagle Scout project by building a handicap ramp for the Kanwaka Township.

“It was actually really hard,” Waisner said. “We put 300 some hours into it.”

His project tooks weeks of planning and setting up.

“Most of the Eagle Scout projects are not that large,” Waisner said. “I’m not sure why I took that project, but I did it, and it took a long time. It really helps out out there. It was used for the election back in Nov.”

Waisner got most of his help from members of his family and his troop.

“Normally for Eagle Scout projects you have to raise money for it,” Waisner said, “however Kanwaka Township agreed to pay for it, which is good because it was around $6,000 dollars.”

Waisner has also been involved in football throughout high school, but he has never thought about quitting Scouts. When he did have a conflict, he simply switched to another troop.

Waisner believes that Scouts’ impact on a man is life-changing.

“Everyone that goes through it becomes a better person,” Waisner said.

Members of the Free State staff are also highly dedicated members of Boy Scouts.

Scott Smith has been involved in Scouting practically all of his life. He is a part of the Heart of America Council, an organization that oversees all the Boy Scout troops in the metro area. Smith has moved his way up the levels, and because of his hard work and dedication is now an Eagle Scout.

“People who don’t know much about scouting know that the Eagle Scout is something pretty special,” Smith said, “pretty important, and they know that if you’ve attained that, there’s been a lot of hard work and sacrifice.”

Smith says that Boy Scouts can make an incredible impact on a young man’s life and will help in the long run.

“Look at the principles of Scouting,” Smith said. “It instills a lot of good things things that we need today as far as discipline, patriotism, organization, maturity, and responsibility. I wish there were more people involved. The numbers aren’t necessarily down, but it’d be great if more young men were involved. We’d be better off as a country and better off as a society.”

Accomplishing the level of Eagle Scout has allowed Smith to put something remarkable on his professional resume all through his life.

“It doesn’t preclude you from being a star athlete, or good in band, or having a life outside of Scouts,” Smith said. “It’s a heck of a lot of fun.”

Junior James Braden has been in Boy Scouts since the age of six. He has been in Scouts for most of his life and is not planning on stopping soon. Braden is planning on building an information bulletin board at campsite for his Eagle Scout Project. He is also very involved in marching band and choir.

“I normally have to choose one or the other,” Braden said, “ and band and choir take priority. Because of parades, I have to miss some camp outs.”

Even with these conflicts, Braden commits to Boy Scouts.

“Boy Scouts is a big thing in my family,” Braden said. “My dad and brother are both really involved. It means a lot, and

I’ve made a lot of friends there. One of my closest friends is in Boy Scouts, and I would have never met him if it wasn’t for Boy Scouts.”