Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Lawrence Guide 2/12

Lawrence Guide 2/12

Dr. Dog Feb. 2 @ The Granada

Whimsical folk-poppers Dr. Dog are a sight to be seen. Lucky for all of us, Pennsylvania’s best animal-named band is stopping by the Granada to charm concert-goers with their take on ‘60s psychedelic rock, transfused with indie instrumentation including playful pianos and serenading strings.

On their newest album, “Be the Void” — to be released on Feb. 7 — Dr. Dog returns with a shinier sound, different from their previous records like “We All Belong” and “Easy Beat.” Emulating John Lennon-esque melodies and instrumentation on earlier records, Dr. Dog transforms into a tighter-sounding, upbeat band on “Be the Void,” even sounding like ABBA and Talking Heads in some respects. However, despite resembling a Swedish pop group from the ‘70s in the song “Control Yourself,” Dr. Dog remains unique with a certain poppy, bubbly, psychedelic sound, inducing listeners into a rock-and-roll trance.

If this raving review hasn’t convinced you of Dr. Dog’s supreme awesomeness, then go see their energetic, boisterous and engaging live show. Their songs are perfect to sing along to and their wild performances and light show will stun any veteran concert-goer. If that’s not enough, tickets are only $15 and it will more than likely be filled with cool people who like cool music. The show is all ages and doors open at 8:30.

Zola Jesus Feb. 24 @ Granada

Because Zola Jesus acquired her name from a popular French naturalist writer of the 19th century, it’s not too much of a stretch to deem her music, well, abstract. Its abstraction originates from avant-garde, synth-driven, atmospheric instrumentation as it compliments haunting-yet-delicate lyrics about lost loves and self-alienation. However, Zola Jesus’ music reaches millions of listeners because of its spacey, danceable qualities and its sombering, enlightening effect on listeners.

Hailing from Wisconsin, Zola Jesus makes music that seems as though it were from outer space, yet blends it with elements of synth-pop, as her voice hints at Blondie and Florence Welch, although it holds its own to the other two female vocalists. Her newest album, “Conatus,” is a continuation of her past musical ventures, still containing soaring vocals and orchestral synths, but adds more-syncopated rhythms and experimental tonalities and soundscapes.

I strongly encourage you to see Zola Jesus at the Granada on Feb. 24. The atmosphere and will be an experience in itself, not to mention the incredible music. Tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door. The show is all ages and Talk Normal will be opening for the critically-accalimed Russian vocalist.