Personality Profile – Jason Springer

photo by: national museum of american history

Straight after earning his undergraduate degrees, teacher Jason Springer set off to join the Peace Corps.

Funded by the United States government, the Peace Corps is an organization whose goals are to help people outside the United States to understand American culture and to help Americans understand the culture of other nations.

“I did quite a bit of volunteer work in high school and wanted to continue to do so but on a larger scale; therefore, being able to commit part of my life fully to a cause such as the Peace Corps seemed like the next logical choice,” Springer said.  “Additionally I had a strong desire to travel somewhere where I wasn’t considered a first class citizen, where I was the outcast.  Immersing myself is foreign culture and living as a second-class citizen was extremely humbling.”

While in the Peace Corps, Springer had the opportunity to travel to Lomsak, Thailand, located five hours north of Bangkok. This experience changed his life.

“The most profound [experiences] would be my numerous journeys to the rural countryside where I saw a level of poverty that most of us in the U.S. can’t imagine,” Springer said. “The amazing thing about this was the level of happiness possessed by the people, even though they were living in horrific conditions.”

Studies done by the CIA show that the United States of America is the one the richest countries in the world. Springer’s journey created for him new perspective on the American lifestyle.

“It really reaffirmed my beliefs about priorities and how we in the West tend to have our priorities backwards,” Springer said. “We can become so consumed with our own problems and our need to place the ‘self’ before the ‘many’.”

After two years teaching English in Thailand, Jason Springer eventually transitioned back to the United States–where he makes just as large of an impact.

Along with his involvement in the Peace Corps, Springer is commonly known around for his love for comic books, his ability to teach sophomore AP European history and his sponsorship of the Renaissance Committee.

“Comic books are a great snapshot into our American culture because essentially, the characters within a given universe (Marvel, D.C., etc.) act as the new mythology for our culture,” Springer said.  “The characters in comic books illustrate far more than the eternal struggle between good and evil, they illustrate that sometimes in our world those lines can be blurred.”

Considering that many don’t take comic books very seriously, Springer realizes that comic books actually hold an important place in today’s society.

“They show us that sometimes heroes fail, but that doesn’t stop them from overcoming obstacles in their way to reach their ultimate goal,” Springer said. “We don’t need to be perfect, we just need the wisdom to learn from our mistakes.”

Along with his involvement in many extracurricular activities, Springer believes teaching was a calling for him and became his version of a superhero — a teacher.

“[In my fifth grade math class], I was assigned to help a student who consistently struggled to understand the material,” Springer said. “Seeing that ‘aha’ moment on his face when a difficult concept suddenly became clear felt amazing. The pride [my math teacher] instilled in me was the hook I needed to become a teacher.”

Springer continues with his tradition of service by sponsoring and leading the Renaissance Committee.

Former student council member, junior Ella Schoenen is one of many members in the Committee dedicated to making our school better.

“We enhance the school and try to recognize our students and staff for everything they do,” Schoenen said. “I joined Renaissance Committee due to Mr. Springer because very realistic about things like fundraisers and school decorations.”

Springer does an exceptional job of relating to his students.

“…he takes into account that the typical high school student body isn’t peppy,” Schoenen said.

As former head of student council, Springer decided to become sponsor of Renaissance Committee instead.

“The Renaissance Committee was something that was brought to my attention by Mr. West a couple of years ago and from the moment I was exposed to it and the philosophy behind it I thought it was a great idea and knew I wanted to be on board,” Springer said.   “It was created to initiate recognition programs within the building for both students and staff, as well as to find ways to create a more positive learning environment for students and staff.”

The Renaissance Committee created room signs for teachers as well as room numbers painted in the hallways.

Springer juggles all of his commitments by employing a simple philosophy.

“I try to take life one day at a time and to not sweat the small stuff because [in life]there really are very few ‘big deals’,” Springer said.

Although they are on separate wings of the building, choir teacher Hilary Morton sees the spirit that Springer brings to Free State.

“[Springer] doesn’t waste time complaining or harping on negative aspects and immediately wants to find a positive solution and move forward,” Morton said. “He inspires his students to do the same and is a very dedicated member of our staff.He’s dedicated to the classes he teaches as well as what is going on in the building or with Free State students, regardless or whether or not he knows them. He’s unafraid to be the voice of reason and always enthusiastic to cheer people along.”

Along with Morton, Schoenen also sees the will and drive in Springer.

“He’s just an all around great guy,” Schoenen said. “[Springer is] personal to people and I like that he’s honest, real and not disillusioned.”

Outside of school, Springer is as friendly and non-judgemental as in school, according to Schoenen.

“I can talk to him about anything and he’s less of a teacher when I don’t have a class with him,” Schoenen said. “He’s just a cool friend.”