Renaissance Committee Goes Old-School with Schoolwide Blackboard

Located fittingly between the art room and the library, the newly created Chalk Wall encourages students to share their thoughts in art and writing.

Across from the middle stairwell, the writing on the wall says it all: “You create what you are. You imitate what you wish to be.”

Or perhaps: “Let’s make it a great day, Free State!”

Or even: “THE RENAISSANCE COMMITTEE RULES!”

The Renaissance Committee, a student group dedicated to improving the school environment, certainly rules the wall between the library and the art room. Over the winter holidays, committee members used the space to paint a modern twist of an old-fashioned blackboard, inviting students to express themselves in chalk.

“We talked about wanting to put more art on the wall, more things like the murals,” senior member Lexi Adams said. “We thought it’d be cool because then students could express their own ideas on the Chalk Wall, but it would be monitored by us.”

The wall was inspired by a similar graffiti wall in Europe, with one important difference: “There, they don’t care [what’s on it],” Adams said. “Here, we kind of care what’s on it.”

An image of Freddie the Firebird, created by junior Jacob Hood, stands beside the wall to hold the basket of chalk and remind writers and artists to “be respectful and appropriate.” The Renaissance Committee reserves the right to erase content it deems inappropriate.