Week Without Technology: Rosemary–Day 3

One thing I’m starting to learn about this whole “no technology will teach you to value the importance of communication skills and independence and appreciation of nature blah blah blah” is that, it’s true.

With no social media to distract me, I’ve actually had time to do things that I’ve been meaning to accomplish but end up on the bottom of my to-do list. For one, I’ve engulfed myself in a  new book (Delirium by Lauren Oliver, which I totally recommend) that I’ve had time to read every night. I’ve also found the time (and patience) to paint my nails so they don’t look like the pathetic, crooked, chipped things they are.

And, prepare to gasp, I’ve actually been able to watch a full length movie. On a school night. Although the idea of having free time, to be used to do anything besides something useful, during the school week seems absolutely preposterous, my shortage in homework combined with the lack of technological distractions has given me plenty of time to actually dispose of it as I please.

And although I didn’t list it, I did vow to use my cell phone as little as possible this week, telling my friends little anecdotes, that I could have texted to them, in person instead. It has definitely shed some light on the value of face-to-face socialization (even if we do talk about the great twitter trends I’m missing) which doesn’t compare to the misleading and emotionless act of texting.

Tomorrow, who knows, maybe I’ll try something absolutely unheard of. Instead of merely discarding technology, I might flaunt my free time without it and do something that involves the exact opposite: nature. I might actually take my dog on a walk. I know, I know, crazy idea. But hey, a week without social media and now a walk outside? I’m all about trying new things.