Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Week Without Technology: Rosemary–Day 4

I think people underestimate the value of social media and its incredibly reliable and speedy method of relaying information, whether it be news worthy of mass amount of retweets or not. As I chat with my friends who catch me up on some of the lastest hashtag trends, I silently thank myself for not putting myself through choir as I undertake this week without technology. There’s no way I could have gone without Facebook during Encore season.

The fact that conversations even end up on the topic of social media scares me- enforcing the idea that technology is unavoidable and inevitable in our lives. It also asks the question, “what did people do about Encore and Graduation Parties before there was Facebook?”

Without Twitter I would not have known about the Kony 2012 campaign, when club pictures were, what Gossip Girl is, or even when my soccer practice was. And Facebook has held such a dominance in our lives that no couple is really dating until it’s “Facebook official.” It’s a comfort to have social media to depend on, but the more I rely on it, the more I worry over the possibility of ever having it being taken away.

There seems to be no reason for a sudden major collapse of technology or internet but until then, the best I can hope for is that I didn’t miss anything drastic after being absent from Twitter for a week, like major plans to take over the world or something.