Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

FFA and the School Garden

photo by: darian koenig

Senior Markus Roberts knows a lot about farming and participating in today’s agriculture. From the business aspects of sales and profits to the nitty gritty of planting, the treasurer of Future Farmers of America (FFA) knows his stuff. He showcases his knowledge at FFA competitions, where he routinely places.

Before joining FFA, Roberts was skeptical about the group.

“I had a friend drag me into FFA,” Roberts said. “I hated it at first but now I actually really like it.”

Roberts placed seventh individually and ninth as a group in agricultural sales at the district competition. FFA judges combine students’ test scores with practicum scores to determine award recipients. determine the awards won from the score on a practicum along with the score on a test over the student’s subject.

FFA was originally founded in 1928 by a young group of farmers with the mindset to prepare future generations for the challenges of feeding an increasing population.

Typical stereotypes suggest that FFA is strictly for farmers; however, Roberts and other FFA members believe differently.

“We’re trying to reach out to more students and have a more diverse group, instead of all just farm kids,” Roberts said.

For Sophomore Erin Meyers, agriculture communications and veterinary science are her strong subjects.

“I’ve gotten first place in ag communications and second overall in vet science,” Meyers said.

Advisor Laura Priest is passionate about agriculture FFA.

“FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education,” advisor Laura Priest said.

Encouraging her agriculture students to join FFA, Priest plays a huge part in the club.

“I help prepare members for competition, assist with scholarship and proficiency awards, serve as a mentor, encourage and motivate members to try to new contests,” Priest said.  “I [also] keep kids updated in the latest happenings with agriculture, organize events and meetings and really be an asset for students who want to pursue a career in agriculture.”

While some think that agriculture is strictly sowing and harvesting, agriculture also involves financial, scientific, artistic and emotional aspects.

“[FFA] promotes healthy lifestyles and encourages excellence in scholarship,” Priest said. “[It also] develops interpersonal skills in teamwork, communications, human relations and social interaction.”

Meeting on alternating Mondays at 7 p.m., FFA members are always finding future projects and different ways to contribute to the community, such as hosting can and clothing drives.

To provide Free State with fresh produce, FFA members and Priest wanted to start a school garden out by the football fields. The garden consists of mainly vegetables such as squash, but it also hosts watermelon and cantaloupe, among many other fruits.

“[The garden is] mainly taken care of during my Plant Science courses during the year and I hire students to work it in the summer,” Priest said.

Just like most teachers here at Free State, Priest wants to make a difference in the lives of her FFA members.

“When my kids walk out of my program, my main goals are to educate about agriculture, so they appreciate where their food comes from and how it affects them,” Priest said. “[Also], make leaders in today’s society, and help mold them into people of integrity and value who appreciate others and the world around them.”