Creative Works That Change Lives

Tegan and Sara “So Jealous

Tegan and Sara’s “So Jealous” is the album that I can come closest to labeling as life-changing. The Canadian folk-rock sisters are able to embrace new-wave fusions as their reedy voices race through romantic histories both good and bad. “So Jealous” grasps exactly what power pop is all about. Their major hit off of the album “Walking With A Ghost” was one of the very first songs that I learned when I picked up the guitar. 

The twins have a way of letting their lyrics grab ahold of you. As in the song “You Wouldn’t Like Me” the line, “I can’t say that I’ll love you forever/I won’t say that I’ll love you forever” lingers on after every listen. With Tegan and Sara, every song is perfection. In “Where Does The Good Go” Tegan and Sara tug on all of your inner vibes, setting off a powerful disembodied sensation, as pure emotion rips through their voices. “So Jealous” has changed my life because it is an album built on honest emotion and spiritual strength. It was put together by two of the most beautiful, influential people in my life. It is an album with such an array of songs that all have the power to lift me up. Simply by creating something so sublime, Tegan and Sara can make my mind wander into indescribable realms.

American History X

The heavy meaning of American History X is portrayed in a beautiful way with alluring plot detail, amazing cinematography and strong dialogue. American History X is a tragic yet touching movie. It follows the life of a neo-Nazi member as he alters his ways and tries to prevent his younger brother from making the same mistakes he did. It holds so much meaning and, because of that, it becomes at times, difficult to watch all of the savagery. I would not go so far as to say that it was life-changing, but it certainly did open up my eyes. The most essential line of the movie, “His father taught him to hate. His friends taught him rage. His enemies gave him hope,” deals with a truth that most try to hide. Racism and discrimination are very much real; hate is unavoidable. The ugly truth is not to be ignored, rather realized and confronted. It caused me to take a look at my life and gain a better understanding of the importance of living life to the fullest in an upbeat, positive light. The harsher moments in American History X are painted by the artistic construction of the film itself.

Hitch Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Douglas Adams’  The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy was life-changing in the way that it modified the way that I view myself, others and the world. The novel seems to have a personality of its own as it follows a wild journey through time and space. Told in a very humorous manner, it moves one through with a fast-paced narrative. Everything enhanced my conception of the world as I turned the last page of the novel; it was suddenly vast and brilliant, life was full of potential, passion and playfulness. It helped me to better understand the meaning of life, the universe and everything around–to find the happiness through living and enjoy life with a peace of mind.