Lack of Oscars diversity leads to concerns, boycotts 

Sydney Gard, Editor-in-Chief

When the Academy Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released the 2016 Oscars nominees on Thursday, January 14, Twitter users were outraged at the names they saw. For the second year in a row, all 20 nominees in the major four categories are white.

While sophomore Saraya Windibiziri does not plan on boycotting the Oscars this year, she may do so in the future.

“I would consider boycotting it if they don’t change and make it more versatile if someone’s gay or lesbian or black,” Windibiziri said. “I think that should be taken into consideration.”

Celebrities from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith to Spike Lee have publicly boycotted the February 28 event, but host Chris Rock has not acknowledged the boycott.

The Academy acknowledged the disapproval by changing their nominating board to include more women and minorities by 2020. However, social studies teacher Phil Mitchell thinks the Oscars could be diversified by diversifying the entertainment industry as a whole.

“The issue is without access, we can’t recognize achievements,” Mitchell said.

Additionally, black actors who do win Oscars tend to win them for certain roles according to Windibiziri.

“It shouldn’t just be like, this black person is being nominated for best actor because they were in ‘The Help,’” she said. “It should be because they’re in any other movie that isn’t just focusing on some black issue.”

While some have argued against the boycott by saying the Oscars shouldn’t be a prioritized issue, senior Joseph Esparza disagrees.

“It shows that everybody has a chance to be successful,” Esparza said. “Winning an Oscar is what determines if you’re successful in the movie business.”

Esparza and Mitchell both do not plan on boycotting because neither of them watch the Oscars anyway.

According to Mitchell the ability to have equal access is not just important in the entertainment industry, but in education as well.

“It’s hard to recognize great achievements when you’re not given an opportunity to achieve,” he said.