Firebird Productions: Students use film skills to give back to community

Natalie Hiebert, Reporter

You probably have heard or seen some of the work of Firebird Productions, the student run film production class. But many students don’t know that the studio does work outside of the annual homecoming video.
Throughout the school year, Firebird Productions works on many individual film projects which include music videos, promotions for clubs, the school board and even some advertisements for non-profit groups out in the community.
“The school district has allowed us to have professional learning experience throughout these projects,” Free State film teacher Scott Smith said.
The studio has done work for the district that has shown in both board meetings and on Channel 26, USD 497’s television channel. They have also worked with many non-profit groups which requires them to create filmed advertisements that can be shown on television.
Apart from the class’s work in the community, they also are beginning projects that are expected to come out later this fall including a sports highlights show and a game show.
The studio is also coming out with a series of comical Halloween, short films about aliens, zombies and even a parody of the Blair Witch Project.
“The project has been really fun,” Firebird Productions staff writer Alexandra Hoopes said. “Hopefully we will be able to show them in the cafeteria during lunch this October.”
If you would like to see some of the students’ films or learn more about the class, visit firebirdproductions.org.