Tarintino Crafts Another Classic

Fresh out of its ten year development process, Quinten Tarintino’s Inglorious Bastards, has been a smash in theaters throughout the country. Grossing over 15 million dollars, Tarintino himself feels that it is the best film he has ever made. Although in many ways different from one another, his films follow the same unique pattern that characterizes a Tarintino Film. So much so that when you watch his films you can tell who the director is without reading the credits.

A trend in every Tarintino movie is the astronomical amount of character dialog. Other movies have dialog, but almost never to the extent of Tarintino’s films. These “sit down and talk” moments are a good 90% of the movie. He is truly a genius at making his characters appear as actual human beings, rather than brawny actors simply spitting out one-liners. 

This is very prominent in Inglorious Bastards. French, German, English, and Italian are all spoken thorough out the movie. There is over an hour long section with no English.

This may sound boring, reading subtitles and watching people talk for so long, but it is quite the opposite. There is always an aura of intensity, surrounding every conversation and reminding you something explosive is going to happen soon. Therefore, you are forced to pay attention, awaiting that moment. And even though you are expecting it, the moment somehow still takes you by surprise and shocks you. Tarintino prides himself in maximizing the “emotional feel” of a scene.

Tarintino also divides his film into chapters, showing numeric transitions on screen. Although not always in chronological order, the system of chapters helps the audience follow the film’s progression.

Violence is another characteristic factor of a Tarintino film. It is well done, fun to watch, and realistic. Quintin Tarintino, uses almost no computer animated effects due to his love for realness. The brutal beatings, gun fights, and scalping in this film balance out the long periods of conversation perfectly.

Die hard Tarintino fans have already seen and praised Inglorious Bastards as an excellent movie. If you are new to his work, perhaps consider watching some of his previous films, such as Pulp Fiction, Death Proof, or the Kill Bill series, to better understand the amount of dialog he puts into his work.