Coming Soon

Sophomore Savannah Reeb’s frequent Starbucks runs just got much more convenient.

The first drive-thru Starbucks in Lawrence will be located west of Burger King. It is planned to be open in late 2012 or early 2013. News of the development has sparked excitement in the student body.

“I get coffee at least like every other morning, so I mean maybe it will just increase efficiency,” Reeb said. “Maybe I’ll get to school quicker.”

Constant construction around Free State will result in new opportunities for students.

“I’m extremely happy,” Reeb said. “I think it will just create a ton of revenue. At the same time, because it’s a drive-thru, I think it’s going to be really backed up in the beginning and probably for a long time. I’m just really excited.”

While having two Starbucks across the street from each other may seem unnecessary, the new Starbucks will offer a new environment.  The plan includes a lounge area and a drive-thru.

“I think it will also create another space for people to hangout and study,” Reeb said.

Starbucks isn’t the only building rising from the ground.  A spotlight is placed on West Sixth Street as construction of a new community theatre accelerates. However, students already involved in theater have some reservations.

“I do theater at the Lawrence Arts Center, and [the Community Theatre and the Arts Center] are kind of rivals so I don’t think I personally will be doing much theater, but if I get the chance I would like to try it out,” sophomore Ian Pepin said.

The theatre also creates opportunities for people who don’t act. Residents of West Lawrence can now more easily become an audience member at the new community theatre.

“Go out and watch theatre,” Pepin said.
Senior Kerrie Leinmiller-Renick has experience with Theatre Lawrence and is enthusiastic about the new location.
“I think it’s a great improvement of what they had,” Leinmiller-Renick said. “I was in a show there and it was very cramped spacing.”
It isn’t hard to see how important theatre is to Leinmiller-Renick’s life.
“I started theater officially in junior high and I did Summer Youth Theater,” Leinmiller-Renick said.  “… It’s part of my existence in terms of this is how I like to present myself… So it’s meant a lot to me, and it still will as long as I’m old and gray.”
The new community theatre in west Lawrence is expected to prompt excitement throughout the city.