NEWS: Daisy Lee Vintage Welcomed to the Downtown Lawrence Vintage Scene

Daisy Lee Vintage opens on Massachusetts St., adding to the vintage market in downtown Lawrence
Daisy+Lee+Vintage%2C+a+clothing+store%2C+opened+a+new+location+in+downtown+Lawrence+Sept+23.+Owned+by+Caleb+and+Cortney+Fangman%2C+they+strive+for+cute+affordable+clothes+while+battling+against+fast+fashion.+%E2%80%9CIt+was+cool+to+see+the+different+styles+that+they+have%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+Elinor+Russo+said.+
Rachel Bruffett
Daisy Lee Vintage, a clothing store, opened a new location in downtown Lawrence Sept 23. Owned by Caleb and Cortney Fangman, they strive for cute affordable clothes while battling against fast fashion. “It was cool to see the different styles that they have,” junior Elinor Russo said.

Since 2017, a local business endeavor which found its foothold in the Crossroads District of Kansas City has had its doors open to the public. This vintage storefront, Daisy Lee, recently opened its doors in its third location; downtown Lawrence. 

Assistant store manager, Skylar Helm, explains that opening a storefront in Lawrence has always been an end goal of the business owners. So, when a location became available for lease the owners didn’t hesitate to jump at the opportunity. 

“[The owners] opened the store in two months, they busted their asses and they had such a strong vision and passion, they put everything into it,”Helm said. 

Helm went on to explain that the opening of the Lawrence location was the most successful opening Daisy Lee has seen, and how significant that was especially with the mission and goals of the business at large. 

“We want to see our business make an impact on people, we want to see it bring smiles to their faces,” Helm said. “We want everyone who walks in here to feel like there’s something for them”. 

To a student audience this sentiment holds true as well, as sophomore Julia Velasco believes that the addition of Daisy Lee to the Lawrence community provides a new scene for thrifting and vintage fans to find what they’re looking for. 

“It’s a perfect place honestly. It meets in the middle of the two thrift scenes that we have downtown…and I think it’s also really nice to just shop around and get inspiration for yourself,” Velasco said. 

In addition to the merchandise offered, students believe that the aesthetic and organization of the space adds to the quality of experience overall. 

“Pinterest dream board, that’s how I would describe it,” sophomore Jozzie Zablow-Maloney said. Maloney went on to add “that is exactly what the workers dressed and acted like, they were just these flamboyant and magical people.” 

Though their entrance to the Lawrence community has been overwhelmingly positive, concerns have revolved around the prices of their products. Helm attributes this to a lack of understanding around the nature of vintage, and explains the businesses sourcing practices from local thrift stores as well as the process they go through to upcycle and provide high quality vintage, all with a goal of sustainable fashion in mind. 

“We’ve gotten really lucky with the reception so far, I’m happy that people have been so receptive,” Helm said. “The community on Mass Street already has been so incredible and welcoming.”