NEWS: Delayed FAFSA Release

Delayed releases of student aid creates college admissions tension
Illustration by Allison Mayhew
Illustration by Allison Mayhew

For many students, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, takes a large financial burden off their shoulders throughout the college application process. Often, FAFSA can decide if a student can attend their top choice, but this year, the process is being tempered due to delayed releases.

Typically, FAFSA letters are sent out with college admission letters; however, the process is being halted for up to months due to a later-than-expected rollout of a new FAFSA application. 

Originally, the Education Department claimed the new and improved form would be easier for families to fill out. However, the form wasn’t ready to publish in October, when the forms for the coming school year are usually released. As a result, the program did not start accepting applications until January, three months later than in previous years.

As a result, many have expressed a domino effect on their admissions. Many families have slowed down their college decision process, left waiting an unknown amount of time, not knowing if the university costs can even be covered without aid.

Furthermore, colleges have expressed concern about admissions levels. Without students’ access to aid, admissions boards are left waiting anxiously to know if numerous students will commit to the college without certified support of affordability. 

Despite the delays, officials say the new application is simpler and has resulted in more people from low-income backgrounds being eligible for FAFSA.