Double Sided Coin of Abortion- Pro Choice

I am a guy who believes people should be given choices. I believe that, when posed with a difficult situation, people should have the right to make their own decision. I believe in the right to privacy. I am pro-choice.

In 1973, the Supreme Court decided in the case of Roe v. Wade that “this right of privacy . . . is broad enough to encompass a woman’s decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy.” This verdict spurred on the debate that continues today on abortion, birth control and reproductive rights.

The main problem I have about abortion becoming illegal is that it would take away a woman’s right to choose. If you are pro-choice, some people look at you like you want to kill babies. But that isn’t it–those of us who are pro-choice want women to make educated choices regarding birth control, pregnancy and childbirth.

In a perfect world, there would be no need for abortions. Sex education would be incorporated into all schools’ curricular and contraceptive options would be cheap and more easily accessible. But this isn’t some Utopian society where everything goes according to plan. Women have unplanned pregnancies, get sexually assaulted and don’t always have access to birth control.

Sex education is important in schools because it gives students information about the consequences of their actions. Without education, teenagers and young adults could be ignorant to the necessary information such as what causes pregnancy, how effective are the methods to avoiding pregnancy, and how to tell if they or their partner is pregnant.

People who are anti-abortion are also often opposed to birth control and sex education, leaving abstinence as the only way to avoid pregnancy. However, with no education, a young girl may not know what constitutes sexual activity. A girl can become pregnant from the time of her first period, and her actions may result in pregnancy.

Women choose to get abortions for a variety of reasons.

Some women want an abortion because they are not ready and able to care for a child. Some may not have the means to provide for themselves. If forced to keep an unplanned pregnancy, these women may have trouble finishing their education and getting a job.

Others seek abortion because they were raped or sexually molested. Children born into an abusive situation may suffer abuse themselves.

In some cases, a woman’s health is at risk and she could die from the pregnancy. Some anti-abortion supporters feel even then an abortion should not be allowed.

According to the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (NARAL), prior to Roe v. Wade, 1.2 million pregnant women resorted to illegal, and sometimes fatal, abortion methods. It is estimated that more than 5,000 women a year died from complications of illegal abortions, often performed by untrained providers. Outlawing abortion would cause women to go back to using these dangerous methods to terminate their pregnancies.

The government should not have control over what a woman does with her body. Abortion should be a social issue discussed among families and those who will be affected by it based on their values and beliefs. The woman should also receive the guidance of a trained healthcare professional.

The pro-life versus pro-choice debate will surely continue to be a hot topic for the upcoming presidential elections. However, I don’t see this issue being resolved for years to come, and even then there will still be supporters on both sides of the fence.

Being pro-choice means you believe that people should have the right to choose what option they choose, be it abortion, adoption, or raising the child. People should always have the right to make their own decisions without being dictated by the government.