REVIEW: Dirty Dough

Review of four cookies from new cookie shop Dirty Dough
Lilly Wall
The franchise, Dirty Dough, made its opening on Nov 17. Off of Bob Billings, the business sits next to Subway. They offer many different flavors of warm, gooey cookies.

Dirty Dough opened its Lawrence location on Nov. 17 2023, but the cookie shop first opened its doors in 2018 riding off the success of Crumbl Cookies. The menu has six classic cookies, and three that change flavors weekly. I ordered four cookies total, two weekly cookies and two classics for a total of $19.04 so I could get a good spread of what they offered. 

The first cookie I tried was the Stuffed Chocolate Chip; I thought it had a good texture and taste overall. The main selling point of Dirty Dough is that the insides of their cookies are soft and chewy, while the outside is hard. The Chocolate Chip delivers on this promise with a warm gooey center. 

The next classic cookie I tried was the Reverse, a peanut butter and chocolate mix with a fudge filling, and topped with Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups. I’m not the biggest fan of Reece’s, and I thought the cookie leaned much more chocolate than peanut butter. However, the texture was consistent with the Stuffed Chocolate Chip.

For the weekly cookies, I tried the R.O.C, or Red Velvet, Oreo, and Cheesecake and the Valentines Sugar Cookie. I found that neither of these cookies lived up to the two I tried previously; their flavor was significantly worse and overall the quality wasn’t as good. 

The Valentines Sugar Cookie is a sugar cookie with vanilla frosting. In my opinion, it didn’t have much taste besides being sweet. However, the presentation somewhat made up for the mediocre taste with sprinkles and white icing.

Finally, the R.O.C. is a red velvet cookie filled with Oreos, white chocolate chips and a cheesecake filling. Similarly to the other cookies, I thought the outside tasted better than the inside. Although the cookie didn’t taste like red velvet cake, it wasn’t too sweet. 

Overall, the cookies lived up to the promise of a hard outside and soft inside, and while the flavors of the cookies weren’t always the best, they made up for it in texture and presentation.