Khadre Lane: Small School Player

“I just couldn’t get over how many people are at Free State,” sophomore Khadre Lane said.

Lane transferred from Bishop Seabury Academy during the middle of his sophomore year so he could experience basketball on another level. Bishop Seabury is a 1A school, while Free State is 6A.

“I wanted to play 6A basketball because it’s really big and I feel like I could get better here,” Lane said.

Although it was a big step coming here, Lane is adjusting well.

“Coming from such a small school where everybody knew each other, I was kind of scared that I wouldn’t be able to make new friends,” Lane said. “But it’s turning out to be great.”

The reason for his transfer at such a weird time is that according to Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA), an athlete has to attend a school for at least 18 weeks to be able to participate in sports.

“I just wanted to make sure I can play a full season of basketball,” Lane said.

Basketball is Lane’s passion. He has been playing since he was in first grade, when a group of friends got together to form a YMCA team.

Colleges have already been taking the opportunity to talk to Lane. Some of the schools are: Kansas, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Colorado, Creighton, Missouri and Wichita State.

“I like competing,” Lane said. “I just like that the harder I work, I can make myself better at anything I really need to be.”

Lane isn’t the only person who is looking forward to next season.

“I think he will be a fine addition to the team because he knows how to be a good teammate,” boys basketball coach Chuck Law said. “He knows how important being a part of team is to the success of the program and to his own success.”

Law has not been able to watch Lane play in a high school game, but he has been present at AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) tournaments.

“He is a great athlete with some real upside potential,” Law said.

As the next season comes around, the Firebird basketball team will be welcoming not only freshmen, but a junior as well.

“I think he made a great decision that will positively impact his future,” Law said. “As well as the future of Free State basketball.”