SPORTS: Run Firebirds, Run!

The track program has seen a large increase in numbers, continuing to decrease the coach-to-athlete ratio
Senior Jake Loos and other members of the track team run during practice. Archived photo from Addie Driscoll.

Since its 68-member team in 2004, the track program at Free State has experienced remarkable growth, currently boasting a roster of over two hundred athletes. Although there are several events to help filter athletes, the roster is still full. Head track coach Jordan Rose mentioned that many kids who join likely choose to since the sport is open to all. 

We don’t have cuts, so all kids know that they will have the opportunity to improve and compete. Since we have so many various event areas, there are ways that kids can develop their strengths while contributing to our team,” Rose said. 

During practices, athletes can do multiple events and find what they enjoy. These events range from long distance, throwing, jumping and sprints. Because of the wide variety of opportunities, coaching is relatively limited with the number of members significantly out-numbering the number of coaches. Because of this, athletes have less one-on-one direct coaching. 

“Other teams in our league and surrounding areas, which have smaller numbers than us, have 10-12 coaches while we have 8 coaches,” sprint coach Joanna Romito said. “It would be great to have a coach in each event area instead of some coaches having to cover multiple events.”  

Students have shown perseverance through any sudden challenge, including uniform shortages and a large number of heats in events. Even though these start struggles, track coaches have mentioned loving watching their athletes succeed. Coaches and athletes alike have expressed their excitement for the season and can not wait to see members succeed as the season progresses. 

“I am so excited to be back with the team and am ready to watch everybody compete and do well in their events,” sophomore Harper Graham said.