The School Newspaper of Lawrence Free State High School

Free Press

Varsity volleyball competes at state

Seniors Jenalee Dickson and Naomi Hickman rest between a set. During the post-season, the Firebirds toppled undefeated and no. 5 national seed Blue Valley West

Tierney Thompson

Tierney Thompson

Reagan Sullivan, Reporter

After a long season of preparation the girls volleyball team aimed to take state. For eight seniors, it was their last time competing in the postseason. Though the team’s season has ended, the memories the team shares will last a lifetime.

Senior Jenalee Dickson noticed the team’s high morale in the regular season and believes it helped the team overcome tough matches.

Everyone get’s along, there’s no cliques”

— Natalie Clarke

“This season compared to other seasons has been a lot more fun.” Dickson said. “We are confident in each other and believe we can beat any team, we’ve never had that mindset before.”

Coach Amy Hoffsommer compared the success of this season to last year’s season as she went over the record of how the team did.

“It’s somewhat more successful. We were 24-17 last year, compared to 33-6 now,” Hoffsommer said. “I think the difference may be more understanding of what our weaknesses are and how to improve them and gain more.”

The player chemistry is a big factor of the team’s success according to senior Natalie Clarke. She explained the team’s dynamic and how it influences the team.

“The team dynamic is great, everyone get’s along, there’s no cliques,” Clarke said. “Everyone is friends, so [that’s] part of the reason we’re doing so well.”

Seniors on the team hope that the improvements they made to the team’s culture will be a permanent change to the program.

Naomi Hickman goes up for a spike during a home game. "In past seasons, people have wanted it," Clark said. "We haven’t had the talent. This year everyone is coming together."

Tierney Thompson
Naomi Hickman goes up for a spike during a home game. “In past seasons, people have wanted it,” Clarke said. “We haven’t had the talent. This year everyone is coming together.”

“We’re just trying to leave behind a legacy of hard work, determination, being friends and creating a good family feeling in the program.” Clarke said.

Senior Larissa Gaumer explained the positive attitude has helped the team through the fall, especially after a loss.

“We’ve really had to work hard this season and we’ve had to stay positive and just keep working our best every time even if we lost a game,” Gaumer said. “[We] just keep up the good work and good energy.”

The varsity volleyball team tied with two other teams at the state tournament, but had the fewest wins in their pool, therefore not qualifying for the tie breaker game.

1 Comment

One Response to “Varsity volleyball competes at state”

1. Jeanne Morris on November 7th, 2016 8:49 pm

Natalie Clarke has an e at the end of her last name…..

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Alumni attend Charlottesville vigil, show solidarity

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

Recent

Drew Finnelly: the man behind @LawrenceKS_PD

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

Recent

Pie perspective

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Spanish teacher selected for Bobs Award by Lawrence Schools Foundation

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Superintendent to transfer to chief operations officer

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Great Green Help builds awareness of community

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Student’s discovery leads to location of second largest Native American city

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

News

Classic Toy Studios combines AV-programs, creates Prom video

• Varsity volleyball competes at state

Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Student body co-presidents address their experiences, priorities

• Multimedia

Encore 2017

Varsity volleyball competes at state