SPORTS: Cheer Team Parents Clinic

Cheer hosts a Parent Boot Camp on Sept. 26
Parents of the cheer team run with state flags at cheers Parent Boot Camp on Sept. 26. Photo courtesy of Ellie Trummel

The fans in the crowd and the cheerleaders on the sideline joined together to create a better community for the cheer and dance teams. Through the Parent Boot Camp on Sept. 26, parents learned more about kids in the spirit squad. 

The camp gave the parents an opportunity to see and experience the day-in-the life of a Spirit Squad member and a chance to bond with their favorite athletes. 

“This was a great opportunity for not only our parents to see and experience what their student athletes do at practices and how much work they put into preparing for game days but it gives our student athletes the space and opportunity to share what they are learning and how they fulfill their passion as an athlete and the work it entails,” Spirit Squad coach Dena Johnston said.

Not only have the Spirit Squad parents shown support from the sidelines during their performances, through the clinic they expressed their support by working hard next to their Spirit Squad members.

The clinic started off with warmups and stretching and then splitting into groups of cheer and dance. In those groups, parents were given a chance to learn various parts of the routine the Spirit Squad performs: Cheers, chants, dances, stunts, jumps and running flags. At the end of the clinic, the parents were able to showcase their new skills in a performance.

“The parents can understand how hard we actually work,” senior Ellie Trummel said. “Cheer is usually thought of as an easy way to just stand there and look pretty, but this clinic shows our parents just how hard we work to acquire the skills we have. I have gotten complaints from my parents that they are still sore a week later.”

Johnston said that this year’s clinic had a great turnout and has grown in recent years.  All family members are welcome without requiring experience, skills or talent. Junior Avery Voss spoke about the connections made.

“It brings the girls and parents together and creates new friendships with families,” Voss said.