REVIEW: For All the Dogs

Review of Drake’s new album, For All the Dogs
Geneva Sabatini

Favorite Song(s): Daylight, First Person Shooter, What Would Pluto Do

At 36, Drake has risen to become one of the world’s most popular artists and has influenced culture in both the streets and in music. He has cemented himself as the first Canadian rapper to truly make it big, with eight studio albums and five Grammys to his name.

He is one of my personal favorite artists, and I applaud his music empire. Although I thought the album wasn’t bad, the vintage Drake we are used to from albums like Views (2016) and Scorpion (2018) wasn’t present in this album. Drake hyped the album up to his fans as “old Drake,” but did not deliver.

The album had hits and skips, highs and lows, and even a feature from his 5-year old son.

Drake’s incredible career has been built on his emotional, introspective aspect of his music. When coupled with Caribbean sounds, dancehall, grime and even afrobeat, Drake has inserted himself in the upper echelon of music; however, For All the Dogs seems to cap off a recent persona that sounds like none of it’s fun to him.

He is slowly shifting into a new subgenre of Hip Hop/R&B, subsequently upsetting a lot of fans. The album has good music, but when compared to the old Drake, not many are impressed — including myself.

Least Favorite Song: 7969 Santa, Bahamas Promises, Screw the World

Overall Ranking: 5/10