Masculine Materials

Men’s fashion. When I was first asked to write about this, I honestly did not know where to begin. How do I write an article about a pair of jeans and a t-shirt?

I decided the best way to find out about men’s clothing was to head to the manliest place I could go without being thrown out: the barbershop. From my own observations and a few conversations with guys waiting for their haircuts, I have theorized that there are three categories of men’s style- hipsters, jocks and the guys who wear whatever looks or smells decently clean.

I know that the men reading this probably resent that type of categorization but in the back of your masculine minds you are probably wondering how we women know that the shirt you are wearing was picked up off of the bedroom floor this morning.

Trust me when I say that it isn’t that hard to tell, especially when you walk in wearing your wrinkled white t-shirt from a Hanes three-pack and tattered jeans. Another giveaway is that bedhead hairdo, when you look like you slept late; it’s obvious that you grabbed the first thing you could lay your hands on.

I must exempt hipsters from this sort of behavior. While most men are struggling to find a decent shirt to wear, you have already prepared a fashion forward outfit complete with cashmere sweater, scarf and gorgeous watch.

For a while, we females were amazed and shocked. You gave away the big secret: Men can wear tailored clothes without coercion or blackmail. But sometime after you started wearing t-shirts with bands that no one knows about, you lost us.

Let’s be honest: no woman wants to be seen with a guy who looks more fashionable or intelligent than her, so hold off on the corduroys and cardigans and kick back in that pair of sweats and that wrinkled white Hanes t-shirt every once in a while.

While the hipsters need to relax a little, you athletic guys need to dress up more often. It is an unfortunate truth that the only time you do not wear an Under Amour, Nike or Adidas product is when you are actually required to be well dressed in honor of game day.

It is on these formal dress-up days that we ladies take notice. I have never met a woman who did not appreciate a pair of nice slacks and button down shirt on a guy. In my opinion, that is the most attractive outfit a man can wear. Pair that with a spritz of cologne, as long as it is not Axe, and you will have our attention in no time.

I suppose the best advice I can give to you men is just to find balance in your choices. Wear sweats on lazy days and dress nicely on others; a little variety never hurt anyone. Lastly, just be yourself-as long as you smell nice.