Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Gifts for Grads

Baskets of snack food, spa supplies and more are great for personalizing your seniors gift.
Baskets of snack food, spa supplies and more are great for personalizing your senior’s gift.

At this time of year, you’ll notice a dramatic increase in Facebook notifications. Three-hundred and fifty-eight seniors are graduating, which means it’s graduation party season. While there will most likely be free food and fun, you, as the underclassman guest, are obligated to provide a thoughtful gift for your departing senior. And you are not to spend your whole summer’s savings on multiple stuffed bears.

Avoid the guilt and embarrassment that will ensue if you’re the only one who doesn’t bring a gift. In case you’re extraordinarily uncreative, we’ve compiled a list of acceptable graduation gifts so you can dedicate all of your end-of-the-year energy to finals, of course!

What should I get the people my friend is co-hosting with?

-A nice card will usually suffice. If you don’t know them, it is hard to give a gift.

-When in doubt, candy always works. A “100 Grand” bar plays on the idea of optimism after high school.

-Homemade baked goods. Come on, everyone loves a homemade brownie. Or four.

What should I get for my best friend who I’ve known since preschool?

-Going on a road trip or seeing your favorite band in concert before you both go separate ways will create lasting memories for the both of you. See the “Lawrence Guide” for some updates on concerts coming to the KC  area this summer.

-A collage frame they can hang up in their dorm, filled with pictures of the two of you dating back to pre-high school memories.

-A webcam, so you can Skype each other even if you are separated by 1,000 miles.

-Inside joke gifts. Unfortunately, you will have to discover those yourself.

What should I get for my sibling?

-A certificate for a spa day proves that the grad deserves to relax for a while before they head off for two semesters of crazy stress.

-With parental help, a Kindle is a great option since many textbooks can now be bought electronically.

-A giant bulk basket. Fill a shower caddy with your sibling’s favorite shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap, and perhaps a loofah sponge. Once they are in their dorm room, they will appreciate being well stocked with these essentials. This will also remind them that it’s still important to bathe in college.

-Books that make your sibling look well read and highly intelligent. Include some British literature like “Pride and Prejudice,” a nice epic from Ancient Greece such as the “Iliad” and a novel that breaks the 1,000 page barrier– “War and Peace” is a good option.

What should I get my significant other?

-Make your own bucket list for the two of you to get done before term starts. After all, memories are more timeless than objects.

-If there’s something at your house that they seem to always use when they come over, like a quesadilla maker or a reference book, try finding one just like it so they can remember those times when they used it.

-Plan the perfect picnic for the end of the year, filled with all their favorite foods–flowers couldn’t hurt either.

Works for anyone:
-Seniors have already started dreading the dorm rooms, so to help them spruce up the universally drab rooms, give them some decorations like a cool lamp or poster. A high-quality lav a lamp can make all the difference.

-Popcorn buckets. This is a surefire way to make sure your senior makes friends in college.

-Create tailgating blankets, a simple craft that can be done in less than an hour. Take two pieces of fleece of equal size, one with their college’s logo and the other in a coordinating color. Simply cut small incisions into the blanket at equal distances, and tie them together. They will certainly use the blanket in the dorm room or at a football game.

-Personalized M&M’s that congratulate them on their successful senior year.

-Picture frames of any size.

-A share of stock. Who knows? You could help them make their first million.

-A money tree, which symbolizes good fortune and success in many Asian countries. They are easy to maintain and perfect for a dorm room. If only they actually grew money…

-For everyone, a letter is indisputably the most profound and touching gift you can provide. Remind them of all the great times you had and you will surely make them feel special.

DO NOT even CONSIDER these gifts:

-Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Suess is as cliche as it gets. Of course they will go somewhere, that’s why you are at a party for them!

-Cell phone skin with your face on it. While this will remind them of you every day, it’s creepy. Besides, if they need a picture of your face on their phone, it is conveying that you think they will forget you.

-Socks alone. Socks are wonderful…when paired with a $100 Chipotle giftcard or backstage passes to a Coldplay concert.

-Stuffed animals. Let’s be real, we’re not in preschool anymore. And any extra useless gifts will just mean another box in the attic for their parents to deal with.